What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOP number 2 injector

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
Hello Captains

My number 2 is the last one to peak and among others it is at -12 meanwhile the others 3 are at -40. they are very equal, but number 2 needs attention. Gami would be good if all injectors were diferent. Anyone knows a how to put a restrictor on my N 2?

thanks all

At what fuel flow is this happening? In the -8 my numbers are pretty stable until I get down to about 7.5, then they start to diverge pretty radically.

Hi Guilherme,
Adjusting the injectors is done by collecting some relevant data first.
It is commonly called "determining your GAMI spread". You can search the web for details on the technique. I will try to do an explanation below just in case you are not familiar with the technique. If you are familiar, sorry but bear with me for a few minutes. :)

Set your craft at 75% cruise power with throttle wide open and rich of peak EGT.

Record fuel flow, EGT 1, EGT 2, EGT 3, EGT 4
Turn the mixture knob slightly. Try to obtain a 0.1 gallon per hr reduction.
Record fuel flow, EGT 1, EGT 2, EGT 3, EGT 4
Turn the mixture knob again, trying for 0.1 gph change
Repeat data collection.

Keep repeating until all 4 EGTs have peaked. This takes some considerable time in the beginning until you learn your motor performance well enough to jump right to a fuel flow you know is just barely rich of peak to start the test.

Land your craft and then review your data chart.
Mark the points where each cylinder EGT peaked. Read to the left of the chart to see what fuel flow was occurring as each cylinder EGT peaked.

The fuel flow difference from the first peak to the last peak is your total GAMI spread.
The fuel flows for each peak are important for determining what restrictor nozzles to put where.

I suggest doing GAMI charts a couple of times and at a couple of power levels. I think it is best to keep the throttle wide open for all the tests.

Share your data with Don Rivera at Airflow Performance in Spartanburg, SC, USA and he can help you decide on a proper path to nozzle sizing.
It sounds like you have a group of 3 and then #2 is an outlier but Don will want the data from the formalized detail tests in order to make recommendations.

Careful with the "B-Nut" torque on the injector nozzles. It is only 25 inch pounds.

After you have changed the nozzles, do the GAMI test again to confirm the results.

Good luck. Balanced injectors do make a difference.

Last edited:
Back