What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Usage Lycoming O-360

1956w

I'm New Here
Hi Folks,

I have a O-360 narrow deck engine. (Not in a RV unfortunately) I've spent the winter stopping all the leaks. I'm seeming to be burning/blowing about a 1/2 quart every 2 hours. I've had the level anywhere from 7 quarts down to as low as 4.75 on the stick. I'd like to try to keep it at 6qt on the dipstick. Engine has compression around 74-76 all all cylinders. My exhaust temp seems work best around 1280 degrees. Who knows if it's accurate. Any suggestions on how to best find the right oil level to minimize usage? Thanks.

Welcome to VAF!

Warren, welcome to VAF:D

Sounds to me like you need to get a ride in an RV.............

Hi Folks,

I have a O-360 narrow deck engine. (Not in a RV unfortunately) I've spent the winter stopping all the leaks. I'm seeming to be burning/blowing about a 1/2 quart every 2 hours. I've had the level anywhere from 7 quarts down to as low as 4.75 on the stick. I'd like to try to keep it at 6qt on the dipstick. Engine has compression around 74-76 all all cylinders. My exhaust temp seems work best around 1280 degrees. Who knows if it's accurate. Any suggestions on how to best find the right oil level to minimize usage? Thanks.

It sounds like you haven't found a sweet spot where it uses less? If I put anything over 7 in mine it just blows it out. Stays at 6-7 for hours....
ps: there's a Yahoo Lycoming group site that may have some hrlp for you.

I've got three O-360/320's that will all blow out anythigng over 6 quarts - but will take 25 hours (or more) to get from 6 to 5. I'd suggest trying to see what you get between 6 and 5 - it's fine in that region.

I must have the best 0360 in the world. We burn 1 qt at every 50 hours. 830 hrs on the engine and we run it around 400 rpm's or more. Just a well broken in engine when it was new.

I must have the best 0360 in the world. We burn 1 qt at every 50 hours. 830 hrs on the engine and we run it around 400 rpm's or more. Just a well broken in engine when it was new.

I don't remember where I heard this, but anything over 25 hours per quart is not good. That means you are not getting enough oil on your cylinder walls. I have never seen over 20-25hrs/qt.

Isn't it true the less you burn the more wear you get? :eek:

Oil Useage O-320 Narrow Deck

Isn't it true the less you burn the more wear you get? :eek:

If that were true, why do new cars burn next to no oil? Why does a recently broken in air cooled aircraft engine burn less oil than it does when it gets older?

I have 4 ECI steel cylinders on my O-320 and may have the worlds 2nd best 4-cylinder Lycoming engine as it will go between 30 and 45-hours before it uses a quart of oil after 816 hours on cylinders. This is on an engine that is 2,812 TSMO to new specs and 6,098 TTSN.

You can go up to a quart in 2 hrs according to Lycoming! Above that, the engine is more prone to detonation.

Leaks? A crankshaft seal can seep a lot of oil.

Look in the cylinders. If the wall are polished and oil is puddling in the bottom, there you go.

Oil usage lycoming io360

Hi Kent what does that indicate when the cylinders are polished and oil is pooling? I have a RV7. IO360 about 100 hrs on the engine good compression and also burns 1/2 qt every 2 hrs. Dan

Hi Kent what does that indicate when the cylinders are polished and oil is pooling? I have a RV7. IO360 about 100 hrs on the engine good compression and also burns 1/2 qt every 2 hrs. Dan

PM'd you. I have seen them get polished from rusting: the cylinder sits, develops rust on the walls from moisture and from acidy oil, Each startup scrapes off some of the abrasive rust and reduces the hone pattern. Eventually the walls get polished and rings skate over the oil film allowing it to burn in the cylinders. It wouldn't be such a big deal except the excess oil reduces your detonation margin.

Have you ever blown air through your engine after shutdown and watched moisture come out of the breather? It's amazing how much moisture remains. Call me anal but use a small air-mattress inflator and blow the moisture out and run a homemade dehydrator when I'm not going to fly for a while.

Walls are glazed or your oil control ring lost it's temper are the most common. I had one cylinder glaze during break in and left oil fouled plugs and pooled oil. It is not too much work or cost to pull the cylinders, run a quick hone through them and install with new rings. I spent more time pulling the baffling than anything.

Larry

Last edited:
Back