What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Cylinders

nippaero

Well Known Member
It's looking like I will be buying new cylinders for my 0-320. The cost of overhauling my old ones is just about the price of new ones.

My question - Is there any real advantage of who I buy them from? It looks like everyone has about the same price. If there's no advantage then I was just thinking about using A/S. Should I be looking at someone else?

Cylinders

You need to get a Trade-a-Plane and look at the deals in there on cylinders also maybe look on barnstormers.com but thats just me I dont shop at A/S because of shipping charges.
Bob

Yep. I've been looking through Trade-A-Plane. I looked at AERO. I was not as familiar with their Air Boss cylinders. I was leaning towards Lycoming or Millennium.

Cylinders

Airpower Inc. in Arlington TX for Lycoming Cylinders 866-287-8886
Dart Aircraft in Waco TX for Superior and ECI

AERO had a free shipping deal on cylinders when I bought mine a few months ago. Don't know if it's still on but worth looking into.

Jeff, Did you get the Air Boss Cylinders? Any feedback on them?

I called AERO and spoke to them. It looks like the Air Boss Cylinders are their co branded version of the ECI Titan. So far it looks like Air Power has the best price.

Last edited:
Air Power

I just had to put 6 new cylinders on the rv10. Air power had the best price and really fast service.

Vic

Superior

I used Superior Millenium A20P cylinders and I installed NFS 9:1 ceramic coated pistons balanced within 1 gram each.

Vic

David, how many hours did your cylinders have on them? I'm wondering if there are any lessons to be learned for your all experiences.

David, how many hours did your cylinders have on them? I'm wondering if there are any lessons to be learned for your all experiences.

My engine is a 2001 out of Maule prop strike salvage that had 492 hours TTSN when I got it. The engine sat for some time before I obtained it and as expected the cylinders developed rust. I honed them during the prop strike inspection and replaced the rings but they never seated very well, even after 100 plus hrs. Compression readings ran from 56/80 lowest and settled between 61/80 to 72/80 last compression check. At least one valve is wobbly. I also recently developed an oil leak that I finally tracked down to the crankshaft seal. Tired of an oily engine compartment and oily belly I figure I might as well replace the seal and cylinders and be done with it. For the slight cost difference I am electing new instead of overhaul.

Back