What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smooth fuel caps?

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what the secret is to smooth operating fuel caps? I've tried several lubricants on the large o-rings, but the movement stiffens up again within a few weeks no matter what I try. I have them adjusted to seal but not too tightly, so I think the problem is in the sticky/tight movement.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Keith

Keith,

Not sure if this is the problem you are trying to solve, but one trick is to lift the latching lever and (while it's vertical) then push down on it (as if trying to push it into the tank). This frees up the o-ring a bit and makes the cap come out easier.

cheers,
greg

Keith

I use fuel lube on the o-rings and it will last for several months. In the Spruce catalog it is now called EZ Turn Lubricant. It is very sticky and a mess to get off your fingers. Stop by my hanger and we will lube them up and you can see how you like it.

Lubriplate.....

Went from Fuel Lube to Lubriplate at the suggestion of Mel and it is much better, at least in the Minnesota winter.

Does anyone know what the secret is to smooth operating fuel caps? I've tried several lubricants on the large o-rings, but the movement stiffens up again within a few weeks no matter what I try. I have them adjusted to seal but not too tightly, so I think the problem is in the sticky/tight movement.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also lube the internal o-ring?

I have found that releasing the snap down tabs and just letting things "relax" for a minute takes all the prying and tugging out of removing the caps. Its worse in cold weather when the rubber O ring and any lubricant on the O ring are stiff.

Fuel lube

Thanks for all the replies. I put some fuel lube on the o-rings and sprayed the latch with a small amount of LPS2 today. We'll see how long this works.

Keith

Back