What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling with a/c compressor

blahphish

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a photo handy of a stock cowl on a -10 that has an a/c compressor? I'm helping a buddy out and am interested in seeing it from the viewpoint of looking into the air inlet. Just curious if people typically make ramps or just leave it as is or something else. Thanks in advance!

I don't have pictures, but RDD Enterprises makes a composite baffle that seals between the engine and the cowl below the alternator and compressor and above the airbox scoop. It works very well in my experience and looks much better than a modified ramp, IMHO.

Which compressor, side?

There's a couple different compressor options out there Brian. Which one are you looking for? Which side of the engine, and above or below?

Dwight

Brian

There is new a fellow in the Falcon RV group that has a 10 with air-conditioning. This name is Tim Morris and I think the aircraft is based in Lagrange. It has a bulge in the cowl where the compressor is.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. The particular compressor I'm working with is mounted on the left side and is just about even with the spinner, just a tad lower. It is highly visible when looking into the left air inlet.

The particular compressor I'm working with is mounted on the left side and is just about even with the spinner, just a tad lower. It is highly visible when looking into the left air inlet.

So, it is right under the prop gov??

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. The particular compressor I'm working with is mounted on the left side and is just about even with the spinner, just a tad lower. It is highly visible when looking into the left air inlet.

That sounds like the newer Flightline AC compressor mount. The original ones had the compressor on the right side and the alternator on the left side with belt tension pulleys.

I have the newer mount and don't have any cooling problems, but it looks kind of funky with the compressor sitting right there in the intake. I modified the ramp to accommodate the compressor and it does not look real pretty, but works fine. Sorry I don't have any photos available.

Back