What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna in Overhead Console?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
For those who are flying and have an overhead console, did anyone mount a GPS antenna inside the console? If so, have there been any reception issues?

It is a good place

Hi Todd,
I have done it and did not find any problems with it.

GPS in overhead console

I have the Dynon GPS, put it in the overhead and it receives a signal without issue.
Pascal

Pics

Just curious, how did you mount the pucks? I assume the cable connection is on the bottom, so how does that work? I'll be there soon and it's something I've considered.

I'd be real careful drawing an assumption that mounting inside of the cabin cover works well. Not having tested the cabin cover for attenuation at 1 Gig and not knowing if mounting it inside will expose it to low angle attenuation. Further, considering that the antenna mounting instructions state that the antenna should not be painted, this because some paints contain metallic particles which can cause attenuation.

On the flip side, if you are just using the GPS for VFR flight, and willing to accept the consequences of possible a drop in signal, then it probably does not matter.

IMHO I would recommend always mounting a GPS antenna outside, on a location away from the tail, and on a surface that is as parallel to the fuselage flight attitude as possible. Since GPS antennas have their own ground planes, they do not need to be mounted on a metallic surface. Being in the RF electronics business for 35 years has taught me it's best to follow the manufactures instructions.
Bill

I spoke with Robin about this and he told me Vans had some bad words about cutting the holes in the overhead structure affecting crashworthiness. Slick installation though!!

I sell a gps antenna that is designed to be placed under fiberglas or plexiglass. Clear-nav.com

Back