What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dumb fuel routing question

1bigdog

Well Known Member
After way more research than it deserves I've come to realize the usual route from the servo to the spider on an IO-320-D1A is through the inter-cylinder baffle between cylinders 1 & 3. For some reason my engine rebuilder decided to place the spider on the left side between cylinders 2 & 4.
Pardon the ignorance of my question; so I assume the best plan now would be drill a hole in the baffle between 2 & 4 to go direct to the servo. Yes?

And thanks.

My Take

I had the same questions recently on my -9A project especially related to the mounting of the Red Cube. Pretty well documented if you search, ?Red Cube Install - Take Two?. Some liked it, some not so much. You be the judge.

Ok to drill

I had the same questions recently on my -9A project especially related to the mounting of the Red Cube. Pretty well documented if you search, ?Red Cube Install - Take Two?. Some liked it, some not so much. You be the judge.

Hi Chris

Got a message back from the mechanic who built the engine. He said its fine to go ahead and drill between 2 & 4. You'll find thats god news/ bad news. You'll note it much easier to drill between 1&3 because there is not plumbing below so be careful.
Also, as to the red cube discussion, EI seems to be clear in their instructions and they do it the same as JP, even if EI seems to have no interest in being responsive. The only time they indicate having the red cube after the servo is when the FI system has a return. If not they only show between the last pumo and the servo. Thats what the included instructions indicate and the instructions for their own engine monitor.

Hope that helps.

Alot of 320s have the flow divider mounted above cylinders 2 & 4, some with the inlet at 45* to the case centerline. Yes you can put a hole in the inner baffle in a similar position to the normal one between cylinders 1&3.
OR---you can actually swap sides with the Lycoming bracket, flow divider, and injector lines and realign things. Yes-----it does work'

Tom

Back