What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build both wings at once instead of one at a time?

Should I build both wings at once instead of one at a time?

• Total voters

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Title says it all. Should I build both wings at once, or just build one at a time?

Last edited:
Twice I've built them at the same time. I'll do it again next time.

Build both or one?

I built one at a time. The second went faster than the first after getting all the kinks worked out during wing one. Space was another consideration.

I did the wingtips and electrical both at the same time.

Depends on whether or not you have enough room in your shop. I didn't. So I built one at a time. Either way, if you keep at it you'll get 'em both finished. :D

Having said that, there were a good number of smaller tasks along the way that I was able to do for both wings at once. There's definitely a significant amount of thinking, scratching your head, studying the drawings and figuring it all out as you go. Plus, setting up tools, jigs, and working methods. That all takes time. So whenever possible, I did smaller tasks for both wings as I went along so I wouldn't have to spend the time and energy, set up the tools, etc. a second time to do it again. You fabricate a part; do the second one for the other wing, too. That sort of thing. I deburred, fluted, and prepped ALL the ribs for both wings and tanks in one big batch. I just wanted to get it done and not have to come back to it. It made the second wing go together much quicker. It was a breeze that way. Hope this makes sense, and helps someone. :)

I voted "yes" so either build them one at a time or both. But yes build them.:D

[Note: Original poll question has been edited to remove ambiguity. :) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the room to build both at the same time, so its sounding like I should go ahead and build a second wing jig.

Depends on whether or not you have enough room in your shop. I didn't. So I built one at a time. Either way, if you keep at it you'll get 'em both finished. :D

Having said that, there were a good number of smaller tasks along the way that I was able to do for both wings at once. There's definitely a significant amount of thinking, scratching your head, studying the drawings and figuring it all out as you go. Plus, setting up tools, jigs, and working methods. That all takes time. So whenever possible, I did smaller tasks for both wings as I went along so I wouldn't have to spend the time and energy, set up the tools, etc. a second time to do it again. You fabricate a part; do the second one for the other wing, too. That sort of thing. I deburred, fluted, and prepped ALL the ribs for both wings and tanks in one big batch. I just wanted to get it done and not have to come back to it. It made the second wing go together much quicker. It was a breeze that way. Hope this makes sense, and helps someone. :)

Definitely both at the same time!!!! I'd rather go all in than have to go back and do everything again from the start of the wing kit... I keep both wing panels/ tanks in the exact same status. One step done, just turn around and do it again immediately...

If you have room build both at the same time. Unless you want to exercise "grey matter" :)

One at a time

One at a time is my vote. Learning curve.
Your bound to learn something the first go around
That will apply to the next.

For first time builders I recommend separate... you should end up ordering less oops replacement parts from Van's during the learning curve. :) But then again, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Get a lot more clecos. The common allotment is not nearly enough for doing two at a a time.

Title says it all. Should I build both wings at once, or just build one at a time?

I started with one wing stand in my garage, we ended up selling our house and moving into a place where I can have both wings under construction at the same time.

I got the first wing to the point of fuel tank assembly before we moved and it took a lot of review in my build log to get the second wing to the same point. Now that I have them both up and am working on entirely new tasks I find it to be much more efficient. Build them both at the same time.

Both at the same time, because when you complete one project on one wing you can do the same assembly usually quicker on the second wing. You get all the ribs done at one time and your done making ribs. You rivet up one wing then do the same on the other... And it moves extremely fast.. Where if you have a time lapse between one wing and the other you could forget exactly how you did an operation
Smilin' Jack

I voted "doesn't matter" but I personally built mine together, and overall, I'm glad I did. However, there was ONE occasion when I regretted it. While installing my leading edge landing lights I made a stupid measurement mistake with regard to the lens screw holes, and I repeated the mistake perfectly on the second wing before realizing the error. It wasn't the end of the world, but it forced me to deviate from the plans/instructions/design and make a special modification to address the error. And make that mod twice.

So, if you build two of anything at once, don't "measure twice, cut once." Instead, "measure twice, take a break, measure twice more, get a second opinion if you can, measure a couple more times, look at the drawings again, and the instructions again, measure again, step back and see if it REALLY makes sense in the big picture, hold up related pieces and make sure, measure two more times, THEN cut." ;-)

But like I said, if I build another plane, I'll build both wings together again.

Do them both at once if you can

I think there is a definite productivity benefit from doing both wings at the same time. For me, the head scratching effort before doing any real work is a significant pause in tangible progress. Once I know what to do it feels good to crank through the same process on the other wing. It always goes faster and provides some confidence that I am getting better as a builder.
Shop and jig space for both wings is definitely required if you are going to do it though. And clecos! I think I placed 3 orders for clecos from the Yard store before I had enough.

Back