What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone used Ranthane? or Aerothane?

Andy J

Well Known Member
Does any one have experience with Ranthane, or Aerothane? I only found one testomonial in my search.

I am interested in knowing your opinions, good or bad, as to its application properties and durability. Also, it would be useful to me to know what color you used.

I used the Ranthane...

...yellow epoxy primer, catalyst, and reducer (G2404, G2405, and G2401). I sprayed with the Axis Citation HVLP and gun. All of the internal structure of my -6A got the primer treatment. I found the epoxy primer to be tough and durable...no real issues with the application.

I did find that the contents of the gallon can of the G2404 were a pain to mix to a uniform consistency, as it likes to settle-out over time. Once thoroughly mixed and then the G2405 was added, everything was fine.

I have only primed the internals of the aircraft, no external primer or paint yet. My intent is not to finish color the cockpit interior, but the outside skins will use the same manufacturer (whoever that turns out to be) for primer and finish color.

I presently have 8 hours on the Hobbs, and finish paint will come after Phase I.

I know several people who have used Aerothane, including one guy who is a professional fabric and paint (fabric planes have metal parts too) guy. All of them talk about how difficult Aerothane is to work with. Apparently, it is very thin and will run or sag given the slightest opportunity.

The professional paint guy's advise to me was *don't* use Aerothane. Use Ranthane - the color charts are the same, and the product is much easier to use.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.........

I use Aerothane on metal and fabric. While there is a difference in run tendency from one color to another and red is the worse, it still is easy to get a beautiful shiny red no-run finish. Just practice a bit on some cardboard first and get your gun set right.

I would not use cardboard, or rather I was using cardboard, as a test platform. What I found was that the solvent is absorbed in the cardboard whereas it is not absorbed by the fabric or especially alum. I was using a cardboard next to my pieces as something to touch to see if it was tacking. As soon as the cardboard was tacking I would shoot the alum. piece and it would run.

Back