Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM

When doing my research regarding wig wag lights I came across a link in the VAF forums about a study done by Qantas Airlines. In that report they had equipped some of their commercial jet fleet with wig wags. In the end they concluded there was a 10%-50% reduction in bird encounters/strikes on jets equipped with wig wags. I don't know how they came up with the numbers but it suits me. I ended up with baja designs spot LED's.... super bright. I feel if birds see you coming they will do their best to get out of the way by most always diving. With that said, I've also come uncomfortably close a few times even with wig wags. Most of my encounters have been in the airport environment during the landing phase at much lower speeds.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
If we are getting into the area of probabilities some attention should be paid to location. I'm in Florida and man do we have birds, and worse still, lots of big ones.
Same for the (Texas) Gulf Coast region. Over the last few decades, all bird populations have increased significantly, including the (big!) brown pelicans. Most are low flyers. But I pass a lot of hawks, eagles, and vultures up in the 3, 4 and 5,000' agl regions.

This subject is important and has been batted around before. I personally just try to keep an eye ahead, because there's not much that can mitigate the effects of a 5-lb bird in your face short of some serious Lexan or other very strong devices. Sure, a helmet protects your face. But what about your neck when you take 5-lbs to the head at 75-100-mph? I'm not sure that's survivable.

Houston
Old 05-24-2018, 11:56 AM

Here in Massachusetts we have huge squadrons of Canadian geese and we are also on a migrant bird flyway so one has to keep a sharp lookout. Geese are not 5 pound birds. Ducks can do a number on you as well.

The glancing windshield looks to be the most useful mod one can make...like glancing tank armor.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Here in Western Oregon as well.......

The Willamette Valley is a major migratory flyway for Canada Geese.
The valley is also the year around home to a large population of Eagles and Hawks. Along the entire coast line is a high density of Gulls Herons, and Pelicans (and many other smaller water fowl) as well, so we are not inexperienced in the dangers of large flying creatures.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-24-2018, 01:52 PM

Default biz opportunity

I'm confident that Allan N. will come up with a new product to help mitigate the risk of bird strikes. Allan?
Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Maybe he can use that big spring again.