What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin ADS-B Solution - What Am I Missing?

pvalovich

Well Known Member
After lurking and being confused and observing and studying, I may have somehow reached a workable level of understanding about ADS-B options.

Current configuration is -8A with AFS-4500, GTX-327 and Garmin 496. No more room on the panel.

Initially thought I'd go with Navworx, but have become lost as to what is really going on. Then thought about biting the $$$ bullet with a Garmin 345.

Now think the Garmin solution - Aera 660 with AirGizmo dock, GDL- 82, GDL - 52R and an iPad is a logical, affordable way to go for function and fit.

After so much uncertainty and analysis, it seems way too simple.

What am I missing?

I cannot see that you are missing anything. Except the issue of having to wait for Garmin to actually start producing the GDL-82 (and perhaps the GDL-52R. Since I have not researched that unit not sure if it is in the same production quandary as the 82).

As for the GDL-52R, keep in mind the GDL-39(R) can perform the same functionality, minus the XM Radio capability.

Now think the Garmin solution - Aera 660 with AirGizmo dock, GDL- 82, GDL - 52R and an iPad is a logical, affordable way to go for function and fit.

What am I missing?

Not much, maybe money.

My RV-8 is similarly equipped. Garmin 430W, AFS 4500, Tru-Trak Auto Pilot, Garmin Aera 660 and GTX 345. Ipad with Foreflight as a back-up. I am a VFR pilot.

When the GDL-82 and GDL-52R was announced I thought of the money I could have saved if I had waited. NavWorks was also something I considered...

With the 52R you have the advantage of a SXM subscription and still pay less than I did for the GTX 345.

The only disadvantage might be is that the GDL-82 is not dual band. It's 978 MHz UAT allowing you to operate in controlled U.S. airspace below 18,000'. Not sure about travel outside CONUS.

A great advantage is the GDL-82 allows for in-flight privacy via anonymous mode preventing others from sensing your aircraft ID. My GTX-345 don't do that. Of course there's the money thing too...

Just my two...

Educate me on anonymity Pls.

I am considering a full 2020 compliant status just to have all the wiring and avionics shelf organized for any future buyer. BUT, I really don't need a transponder the way I fly. My question is, If I put all ADSB / transponder hardware on a switch, Can I leave it off for my G3X and fly like a NORDO without upsetting anyone or the Garmin CAN Bus ?

I am considering a full 2020 compliant status just to have all the wiring and avionics shelf organized for any future buyer. BUT, I really don't need a transponder the way I fly. My question is, If I put all ADSB / transponder hardware on a switch, Can I leave it off for my G3X and fly like a NORDO without upsetting anyone or the Garmin CAN Bus ?
Nope. The regulations state that if an aircraft has ADS-B OUT installed it must be on and functioning at all times. Such is the reason the OSHKOSH (Oh, sorry, I meant Airventure) NOTAM states any ADS-B OUT equipped aircraft must keep their ADS-B OUT systems turned on when all others are requested to turn their transponder off.

Pvalovik:

You have configured what in my mind is a perfect set up. Keep all the great functioning stuff you already have and put the GDL 82 and GDL 52 in the mix. Woola. Can't get much more compliant and cheap as that.

Larry:

As RVbySDI points out, if an aircraft is equipped with compliant ADS-B out the new regs say it must be on at all times the aircraft is operating, whether on ground or in the air. This includes taxing from the milk barn to the farm house in the middle of nowhere. And that requirement is not just for 2020. It is true today. If you pull the breaker you are in violation. If you have an inop ADS-B transmitter you're not supposed to even start the engine or taxi. However, if you don't have the equipment on board you don't have this onerous burden and can operate traditionally. It's preposterous as ****.

Jim

The same rule (almost) applies to your transponder, too. If you have it and it's been properly tested within the last 2 years, you must run it in any controlled airspace unless ATC says otherwise. Pretty hard to find any class G (except below 1200' AGL) anymore.

Pvalovik:

If you have an inop ADS-B transmitter you're not supposed to even start the engine or taxi.
Jim

This is not at all true. FAR 91.225 says that if your equipment is inop, you're supposed to ask ATC for permission to go anyway. No advance notice needed. Hard to imagine that they even care if you're not in the required airspace.

Back