- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Default $1200 Flat Rate

The big left knob quit working properly. I couldn't dial the most significant digits accurately. So I reluctantly gave my 430W to my local avionics shop for processing. Garmin would not take it directly from me so I had to work through an authorized dealer.

I got it back today. The repair description says Garmin replaced the faulty knob, checked, aligned, updated, blah, blah, blah, and $1200 dollars later I get my 430W back with a BRAND NEW KNOB.

Kudos to my local avionics shop, Mac Avionics at KLAL. They didn't charge me a penny for their labor / support. But, with shipping, the total was $1250 bucks. REALLY? For replacing a knob?

I like Garmin products, I really do. But, their business model is obviously focused on those for whom money is not an object. I think I'll focus MY future avionics business model and dollars on companies for whom VALUE for the owner is an object. I'll also look for those companies that understand the owner / operator equation and especially the EXPERIMENTAL owner / operator. I could care less about all that paper they gave me with the repair! I just wanted it fixed.

To their credit, they did get it back in less than 10 days. Replacing a knob apparently takes that long . . .
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019