What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic Tools

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I thought I remember reading somewhere here that no one should ever use a magnetic screwdriver or other magnetic tools when building but I can't find the thread.

I'm just wondering if I can use a magnetic screwdriver and if so, what precautions do I need to take?

Thanks!

Magnetism

You want to keep magnetism away from your ADHARS and magnetometer. Most use aluminum shelf and stainless screws but it's best to keep the magnet away. Lots of other ways to hold screws.

Heed Wirejock's cautions, but these tools have a place. A magnetic retrieval tool helped immensely when I was installing the main gear weldments on my -9A, to get the nuts started on the bolts inside the spar receiver.

I thought I remember reading somewhere here that no one should ever use a magnetic screwdriver or other magnetic tools when building but I can't find the thread.

I'm just wondering if I can use a magnetic screwdriver and if so, what precautions do I need to take?

Thanks!
Are you kidding? :p Sounds like the old story of not using battery powered drills while building. Of course you may not want to use them near something that's magnetically sensitive, but how many places on an airplane might fit that category?

Last edited:
Caution on SS SCREWS

Beware of using SS screws in non magnetic areas like by the AHRS and magnetometer. Many commonly available SS screws ARE somewhat magnetic, it depends on the alloy. Better to use brass... For non magnetic fasteners...

LMAO

And if you have a septic tank instead of being on city sewer... make sure you use single ply toilet paper only. And be sure to courtesy flush your dairy queen swirl before wiping. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Beware of using SS screws in non magnetic areas like by the AHRS and magnetometer. Many commonly available SS screws ARE somewhat magnetic, it depends on the alloy. Better to use brass... For non magnetic fasteners...

+1 ABSOLUTELY!! I checked !! Many stainless screws are 400 series AND magnetic. Wouldn't worry about the screwdrivers, though. You can demag with an old tape eraser. (museum piece :) )

Last edited:
Back