What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I measure the flap angle?

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
This might be a dumb question but I'm trying to get 40 deg flap travel on my 9A but I'm not sure if I measure from the top of the flap or the bottom. Putting my protractor on top, I get 40 deg, but if I put the protractor on the bottom of the flap, I only get 30 deg.
Thanks.

Pick the top OR the bottom and measure in the same place when the flap is full up and full down.

Also, I don't think you're supposed to be seeing 40 degrees. I think if you look in the manual it says something around 32 degrees of travel is what is standard max for the RV-9.

I believe....

If you measure the angle with them retracted and then deployed the difference between the two should equal the forty degrees. Measuring top or bottom will not matter as long as same on both.... :)

Yep! What he said !

Last edited:
The free level app on an Iphone works great for this. Raise the flaps all the way, set the Iphone to zero and then lower the flaps and read the angle on the screen.

I don't know why

I never thought to measure the difference between retracted and extended.
Thanks everyone.

There's an equally useful protractor app for Android. Set the phone/tablet on the surface, hit the button to set zero, move the flap (or in my case the elevator) and read it directly. Cool as heck.

Back