What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Mount Question

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
Is there a reason for the battery box bracket nutplates to be mounted on the front rather than the rear of the firewall? Seems that future access to remove the bolts would be easier from the front.
IMG_0006.JPG

Not sure why vans did it like this. One thing though if you have not already done this is to drill the two bolt holes in the vertical firewall stiffener first then match drill the third hole that is in the diagonal firewall stiffener with the battery box assembly bolted in place. The two rivet holes in the vertical stiffener/firewall next to the recess have the same CNC pattern as the left side battery box bracket and line up perfectly but the third hole through the right side battery box bracket may be off slightly depending on accurately you built the battery box assembly.

Thanks Mike. My bolt holes all lined up perfectly following the plans. I'm going to mount the nutplates on the stiffeners on the back of the firewall and fill the extra holes in the brackets with JB Weld. Most all the other bolts penetrating the firewall have nutplates on backside, so I'm puzzled why Vans did the battery brackets backwards. I also mounted the brake reservoir with nutplates rather than plain nuts.

Switch them

I did mine as you describe, looks nicer and is easier to get off. I think the PC680 box was designed as a retro fit to flying aircraft without enough access to rivet the nutplates inside. No reason not to while your building.

Not>>>

I moved mine and the battery terminals are at the front were they should be in the first place... bad design!!!!!!!!!! :D

Back