What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner Cracks

johngoodman

Well Known Member
We are doing our condition inspection and found some very faint cracks around the bolts that pass through the backplate, S 602B. In fact they are so faint, that we had to clean off the primer and do a fingernail test. Anybody else had this?

John Goodman

Spinner cracks

I have a c/S Hartzell prop on my RV6A and I had very small cracks in the corner rivets. The book says replace the backing plate for any cracks. Mine were about 1/2 inch long. 876 hours. New plate is on spinner tomorrow.

plane 1- C/S rear plate found 2 ring cracks around bolt holes.
plane 2- found one rivet missing, two others loose, between rear plate doubler and mounting plate
plane 3- C/S rear plate found crack from center hole thru to outter edge, suprisingly the doubler plate hadn't cracked (yet)

These planes rear mounting plates were replaced and props balanced, problems haven't returned in over 5 years.

plane 4- C/S front plate found cracks around bolt holes, customer complained of low RPM shimmy

This one was different, couldn't get good balance for low RPMs and finally found gross imbalance in spinner itself (Chromed aluminum), changed out spinner and re-balanced, problem cause solved.

I'm attaching a sample photo of the prop spinner assembly. They all have the same crack on both sides.
John
dyav5h.jpg
[/IMG]

John,

Thanks for the picture, but I'd like to see a view from a step back.

Is is possible to "color" the cracked areas with a sharpie and wipe clean for more contrast?

Thanks

Back