VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-15-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Sure!

Depends on the instructor and the pilot receiving instruction. I'm height challenged and comfortable flying the -4 or -8 from the rear cockpit and will give instruction from the trunk if the airplane is equipped with dual controls. I'm also comfortable instructing on the wing (i.e., flying in the wing position with the student in their own airplane); assuming the pilot is appropriately qualified to operate solo.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Formation Flight can be logged as duel given/received.
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkuzme1 View Post
Formation Flight can be logged as duel given/received.
Where is this written?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM

Last year I signed a great guy off for his initial instrument from the back seat of his -8. I had a stick and a push to talk.

I had to make sure I was very very comfortable with my friend as I was basically a passenger.

Finding a DPE was another victory.

He passed no problem.

I would not do that again for just anybody.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-19-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Last year I signed a great guy off for his initial instrument from the back seat of his -8. I had a stick and a push to talk.

I had to make sure I was very very comfortable with my friend as I was basically a passenger.

Had to be even more comfortable when we filed in actual.
Check out the link in Post #6. For Flight Instruction you need dual controls, interpreted to mean roll, pitch, and yaw controls.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 06-18-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:54 AM

It sounds like the crux of the matter in the article is dual brakes. It also sounds like the interpretations are in regards to CFI checkrides, where the applicant needs two sets of controls for all "areas of operation" ie teaching short field takeoffs from the other seat requiring brakes.

I don't think there was a legal problem with completing and signing off my IFR friend in his 8 because brakes / rudder pedals are never required for the areas of operation on an IFR test. The DPE agreed and conducted the evaluation.

Now a private? That is a different matter.

My current opinion (subject to change of course as I learn more..):

In regards to a Flight Review, I think that if the RV owner is still current and can act as PIC during her / his flight review, than yes a CFI could ride along in the back without rudder and brakes to evaluate. Now finding a CFI who wants to do that may be a different matter.

If the owner is not current, than the CFI is the PIC and I would think you need another plane.

I also just read 91.109 and it appears it is written for Bonanza folks with throw over yokes. I'll call AOPA legal later today and report back what I find out.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-19-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 AM

Another real world story:

At 52F we have a new RV-4 owner. One insurance company wanted him to log 10 takeoff and landings in tail wheel RVs before the policy became effective. So we could use his plane, but the policy wouldn't be covered during the required 10 laps in the pattern.

Another insurance company wanted an RV checkout from an authorized CFI.

His very nice 4 does not have rudder pedals or brakes.

I opted to use my 6 for his insurance sign off. I suppose a CFI could again ride along, evaluate, and give the thumbs up, but I'm not sure who might want to.

As a new RV owner myself, I am sad to see all the hoops people have to go through just to enjoy their airplane. I just read a great article about the depleting CFI pool and I have no doubt that as people age, there will be even less available instructors to help EAB owner/pilots with checkouts, insurance requirements, and flight reviews.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-19-2018 at 06:08 AM.