What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Hangers

pvalovich

Well Known Member
-8A with Aerosport IO-360; 900+ hours.

When changing oil, discovered right exhaust hanger tube broken at aft bolt fitting. Anyone know the part number for ordering replacement?

Got to thinking about function and utility of the combination metal tube / rubber hose / hose clamp design. Obviously, there was enough vibration/stress to wear through the aft attach bolt hole, but even for a new, perfectly installed hanger, what does it do besides provide a bit of dampening. Certainly not rigid enough to prevent exhaust pipe vibration.

Don't know what your hanger looks like but if it is a 3/8" steel tube a steel brake line from your local auto parts emporium works like a charm. Gently flatten the end of the tube then drill the hole as needed.

I've been using steel brake line for hangers for over fifteen years on my RV-6 with the Vetterman exhaust. I even carry a short length in the flight bag for repair away from home.

Look at Vettermans pipe hanger on his site, clamps and angle on the lower motor mount, works very well. And, a lot less in the airstream exiting the lower cowl.

To answer your question directly: The exhaust is not an engine part.
You would need to know what brand of Exhaust and ask them.
However, if the part failed prematurely, something else might be better, and this forum is the right place to get ideas.

Back