What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JDAir Canopy Latch

cubdriver

Well Known Member
Thinking about installing the JDAir Latch. Does anyone have a template they have created for the RV14 that they can share? Is it worth doing?

I know a few things are different from the RV 7/9 plans provided.

Thanks - Jim

Did you make new angles (3/4x3/4x.063) as in the current JDAir drawings? From the photos it looks like you used the Vans parts or something else, as the photos show something you could crimp.

Thanks for the information!

Did you make new angles (3/4x3/4x.063) as in the current JDAir drawings? From the photos it looks like you used the Vans parts or something else, as the photos show something you could crimp.

Thanks for the information!

Hi

I just finished the KD latch. Made new angles and tested on scratch (which was good, especially because I made a lock as well). With new angles you can testfit the whole assembly including latch and angles and then matchdrill the upper angle from the skin. I figured this is easier than using the stock angles and match everything else...

Attachments

• 453C7643-BACB-48F8-98BB-4D69CBF4838F.jpeg
    453C7643-BACB-48F8-98BB-4D69CBF4838F.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 608
  • 070001B2-5B4D-45B6-B7FC-8FF7AB592A3A.jpeg
    070001B2-5B4D-45B6-B7FC-8FF7AB592A3A.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 6C550AF9-0691-4D5F-9FDA-3E003E8EA3A6.jpeg
    6C550AF9-0691-4D5F-9FDA-3E003E8EA3A6.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 558
  • ED88367F-2C0A-4C34-820A-AF5315B7D100.jpeg
    ED88367F-2C0A-4C34-820A-AF5315B7D100.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 547
  • CFBD4927-36BC-4DAC-BEB8-FEFE3F980708.jpeg
    CFBD4927-36BC-4DAC-BEB8-FEFE3F980708.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 559
Locking details?

Do you have any diagrams or pics of how you prepared the latch lever for the rotating lock? And, the item name/number of the lock itself?

Looks like you may have milled a notch into latch lever and the upper angle.

I just did a few attempts with the file and bending the angle, no big engineering behind ;) And yes, I filed a slot into the angle and also made the already existing slot in the handle bigger to accomodate the locking angle. Just be careful that you have the position of the lock right. Between the Door latch and the upper longeron assembly. You need free 180° rotation of the lock.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aerolocksets.php

this is the lock I used

RV-14 install questions

When I ordered my JD Air latch for my QB RV-14, I was told to drill out the bottom bracket, enlarge the holes to fit the latch, and re-install bottom bracket.

If I'm reading correctly, the drawings on JD Air website are not for an RV-14 and the brackets are different. (ex. drawing shows bracket to be 8 1/2" long and mine is 9 3/8", the pre-drilled holes on the QB that accept the AN3-12A bolts are located 9/16" and 4 5/16" from the leading edge of the bracket vs the 7/8" and 4 5/8" shown on the drawing.)

This is all well and good, but I'm wondering if people are attempting to use the installed top bracket or just drilling them both off and making new brackets entirely? If I spot and drill the new holes in the existing brackets it will have little metal left between the old unused holes and the new ones. Will this be too weak??

Just wondering what people have had success with out there? The latch is definitely high quality and will be a great upgrade once installed, just need some updated instructions for the RV-14 QB specifically or what people have had success with out there.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 302
I have a 14a and I made the template from the drawings, fit is near perfect and to spec. When I clenched the template to the skin, the latch is too far forward, I did not make any cuts. I assume this is due to me ASSuming, the drawings where for the 14 as well. Back to the drawing board for me, I’ll install latch and template directly on the fuselage this time.

I tried to use my existing brackets but if I did the latch did not line up properly to the existing cut outs in the QB fuselage. I am making a new top bracket wit the hope of using the existing bottom. This should be doable as the bottom bracket requires new rivet holes to be drilled in the fuselage skin.

Fairly easy

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the experiences on installing our latch. As most have found, it is not that big of deal. Heck, you've built the entire plane:D:D

The good news is I will be working with a local RV14 builder to get a specific template made and some associated photos. In the meantime, thanks for posting your experiences.

FYI, I've got the modified version for those who will be installing the Classic Aero interiors. There is no mechanical difference and the new one is only needed for the CA interior. I've got red and natural ready to ship.

Darwin N. Barrie
JD Air Parts

I should clarify my previous post, I attempted to use the OEM brackets. Mine is not a QB either. Double check before you cut folks! I’ll be fabricating my own brackets now as I really like the latch assembly

Back