What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Static Source

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Has anyone plumbed an alternate static source?
Looking for an easy way. Any pics would be appreciated.

A simple 'T' off the static line that is accessible while flying is another simple alternative, it can also double as a convenient 'test point' for hooking to the static system.

Thanks, I would prefer not to have the switch in the panel. Has anyone located it in another convenient location for install and also easily in reach in flight. It is unlikely it will ever be used however it is a requirement in Canada for IFR.

i used the valve like is on the bottom of an air tank for bleeding. it wasn't alternate air for my pitot , it was for my fuel vent line. i think it is curious they are used [required for pitot] but not for vent lines for single fuel tank airplanes.

+2. I added a second EFIS and the Stein valve off its static via T. All worked great and IFR pitot-ststic cert.

Opening switch valve moves altimeters 30' down at cruise, air vents open.

Glen - alternate static can be really simple and cheap.

Install a Tee in the line, run the line back to the bottom corner of the instrument panel or a similar accessible location that doesn't take up any panel space. Install the necessary adapters to get to a 1/8NPT fitting, then install one of these:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/curtisquickdv4.php

If you think this isn't a good idea, go look at every Grumman AA5-series airplane - that's how they did it in the certified world!

In my -10 the ADHARS are behind the baggage compartment. I mounted a 12V normally closed solenoid valve back there far away from the ADHARS, and connected it to the static?s. There is an ?alternate air? switch right next to the pitot heater switch.

Don?t know if that is allowed in Canada, but it is simple.

That is the joy of building. Make it as simple/complicated. economical/expensive, light/heavy as you want. Many GA planes don't have alternate static, and the old wisdom was break the VSI window for alternate static source... DON'T try that on your Garmin 3X ha ha. :D

Many GA planes don't install an alternate static. Some GA planes only have one external static port. RV you should have two per plans. What is the chance of a blocked static? Insects? Taping over the ports when you wash the plane and forget to remove tape? Stuff happens, but in flight unless in freezing precipitation it is unlikely to get blocked. Are you going to have dual-pitot? At some point one has to choose to simplify or not.

The advantage of no alternate static is less fittings and connections, the less likely it will leak. However as mentioned a 'T' with tube and fitting/plug under panel will do. If IFR is your mission, I'd have alternate static source. VFR plane not so much... Up to you.

Last edited:
fittings

With today's tubing and o-ring sealed push to connect fittings, there shouldn't be any problem with leaks...

I ran my static line right under the canopy decks. If I truly need alternate I will just cut the line with a knife that is always kept in the plane. Then it will be an opportunity to install a tee with a plug. Haha

Alternate Static

I have one, not installed (yet), but just curious if anyone has ever needed one in an RV to safely complete the flight.

Back