What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Door?

czechsix

Well Known Member
For those of you who have flown your RV-14 through the winter, have you had any issues with oil temps running too cool? On my RV-8A (O-360) I had a cockpit-controlled butterfly valve in the opening of the baffles that fed the 4" SCAT tube running to the cooler, and I could close it off on cold winter days to help bring the oil temp up more quickly and maintain at least 180 F when the OAT was way down in the single digits (Fahrenheit). The IO-390 angle valve engine expels a greater amount of heat through the oil cooler, so I'm wondering if a door to control airflow in winter may not be as beneficial as it was on the parallel valve O-360. Any thoughts?

Hi Mark:

As you know, the 390 (or XP400 in my case) runs higher oil temps and cooler CHTs - I've been told it's at least in part because of the piston squirters. Others may have lots of cold weather experience, but based in Texas I don't have much sub-zero testing. However, last Christmas, we did a trip to Cleveland and returned with OAT -5 F. My normal 280-300 CHTs were driven down to 200 ish and I was forced to run rich of peak to keep my CHTs higher. I don't recall the OT specifically (150?), but may be able to retrieve a log from the data card if it hasn't purged. Unfortunately, I won't be home to look it up for another 2 weeks. (I do not have a damper installed in the the oil cooler duct, but have considered it. A draw back is that it will inevitably have a negative effect on "wide open" air flow which is more of a concern in summer heat.)

Mark,

I've flown a couple winters now and I do find that my oil temps get a little on the low side to keep the moisture out on the cold days. I actually purchased a butterfly valve from TCW Tech a few months ago but waited until this summer to install it. I just need to get it done before about the end of October. Up here in WI it is probably something that will be beneficial, as I like to make sure the oil gets hot enough to help remove moisture. I don't know if I'd bother with it if I lived in the south, but up this way I think it's a good idea. I have one on the RV-10 and that is a big help as well.

I installed the TCW butterfly valve with a control cable to the cockpit on my XP-400 equipped RV-14. I have been test flying in OR and it has been hot, with typical temps on the ground at 90 tp 98 degrees. During testing at those temps (in flight OAT around 80) my oil temps were at 180 to 185 degrees with the valve fully open. On one flight on a slightly cooler day at 9,500 feet the OAT got down to 60 degrees and my oil temp dropped to 170 so I closed the butterfly a tad and brought the temps back up to 185. I?m curious to see how it works in winter OATs but so far so good.

For those who have used the TCW product, do you have any pictures of your installation or tips on mounting it? I am getting ready to put the engine on the plane and I do want to use the TCW valve and electric control. Thanks!

Much like the guys ahead of me, I did install a butterfly on my oil cooler since my RV7A needed and had one. I am in CA so not necessarily a cold climate but so far I have used it a handful of time to bring my temp to 180+. Mine is still a very low time aircraft compare to some of the guys that have been flying for a year or longer.
I don't have a picture of the butterfly handy but you can see my control cable in this picture on the panel.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139728&page=8

Much like the guys ahead of me, I did install a butterfly on my oil cooler since my RV7A needed and had one. I am in CA so not necessarily a cold climate but so far I have used it a handful of time to bring my temp to 180+. Mine is still a very low time aircraft compare to some of the guys that have been flying for a year or longer.
I don't have a picture of the butterfly handy but you can see my control cable in this picture on the panel.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139728&page=8

Your panel is beautiful and copying it would solve my dilemma about where to put the parking brake control in my plane. I don't suppose you have pictures of the butterfly valve installation? Basically I'm wondering how/where people mount the valve and control servo.

Your panel is beautiful and copying it would solve my dilemma about where to put the parking brake control in my plane. I don't suppose you have pictures of the butterfly valve installation? Basically I'm wondering how/where people mount the valve and control servo.

Thank you.
I will look to see if I have a picture of the butterfly but it is really simple. Mine is mounted directly on the oil cooler and the 4" scat tubing goes to the butterfly. I have not installed any servo, only a pull/push cable which will operate the butterfly to any degree as you want.

Thank you.
I will look to see if I have a picture of the butterfly but it is really simple. Mine is mounted directly on the oil cooler and the 4" scat tubing goes to the butterfly. I have not installed any servo, only a pull/push cable which will operate the butterfly to any degree as you want.

Where did you anchor the cable?

Where did you anchor the cable?

The cable comes out thru one of the pass thru and gets anchored to the engine mount. If you send me your e-mail, I will take a picture next time I have the top cowl off. It is very easy installation/connection to make.

This thread reminded me that I hadn't done a write-up yet on my Oil cooler butterfly install. I wanted to make sure I had pics, so took some recently.

Here's a link:

https://www.myrv14.com/N14YT/mods/Oil_Cooler_Butterfly/index.html

I'll stick a couple thumbnail links here too. More pics on the web link.

RV20190308-174553-007_t.jpg

RV20190308-174623-016_t.jpg

Agreed, the pictures are really helpful. I am sure I can do something similar despite having the taildragger version of the engine mount. Now I just need to find space in the panel for all the cable controls. Heat x 2, parking brake, oil cooler, alternate air, and engine x 3.

Back