VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 PM

I'm starting to get the same feeling Fin. I shut the pump down at the first sound of it drawing air, which may have only been an air lock or something in the lines as this was the first time I had run the fuel system. I set the pickup as low as possible in the tank when I closed it up. Here's an excerpt from my log:

"Installed the fuel pickups into the tanks, ensuring they were in the right position prior to sealing through the use of a borescope through the fuel level sender port. Once this and the inspection panel was sealed in place with proseal, the fuel level senders were installed, again with proseal around the sealing face and the screws. #8 NAS1351 cad plated cap screws were used instead of Philips head screws so that future removal would be possible."

I posted on another thread regarding the Van's screens I am using (see link below). I think I will pump the tanks dry and check again the remaining fuel.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=84544&page=2

Tom.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 PM

Default W&B

Rv7, tip up
O-360 carb, 2 Pmags
Hartzell cs BA
Dynon avionics, autopilot,
Full leather classic Aero interior, carpet
Fire extinguisher, glass break, smoke system tank installed behind passenger seat
Painted
B&G starter and alternator(heavy)

Total weight. 1,140. (#70 on the tail)
Has gained about 25 lbs over the last 15 years!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:22 AM

So yesterday, after my weight and balance, I had my first inspection by an A&P before I go for my final certificate of airworthiness inspection. This A&P (or L.A.M.E. as they like to call them here) discovered two rather important items. First was that my governor didn't hit the full fine stop (now rectified), and the other was that my wing root gascolator bowls were not tight and lockwired. The penny finally dropped this morning that this may be the cause of my excessive unseeable fuel issue. Thus I tightened both this morning and safety wired them, then re-ran the unusable fuel test, disconnecting the line at the fuel servo and pumping the respective tanks until the pump ran dry. The results were 60ml remaining in the right tank, and 45ml in the left tank. I'm not kidding. That Andair pump is a friggin hoover. That's less than two ounces of fuel remaining in the left tank. So it turns out that when the tanks got below 7 liters previously, the pump suction was so great that it started pulling air through the seal on the loose gascolator instead of fuel. I'm so glad this A&P discovered the issue, and since I've basically worked in a complete vacuum apart from VAF for the past 3 years, it's great to have a second set of eyes on things. Fortunately 22lbs is 9.97kg, so I can just re-calculate the CG impact instead of re-weighing things (CAO 100.7 6.3(a) stipulates that I must re-weigh if the change is greater than 10kg). Thus my final results are as follows:

Total zero fuel weight: 1113.6lb
Arm: 79.34"

Tail weight: 60.7lb.

The aft CG with two up, zero fuel and 100lb of baggage is still .5" within the limit so I'm pretty happy.
Thanks guys for helping me clear this up. Now I'm only 2.6lb over book weight, which isn't too bad considering this thing has more fruit than your local grocer.
Cheers,
Tom.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Baggage Capacity

First, I'm brand new to the forums though I've been reading them for several years.
I'm considering building an RV-7 or 7A...providing I can figure out how to ship it over here to the UK where I'm stationed without giving Her Majesty $6,000 in taxes...

As I read through this thread I'm noticing that Aft CG is a potential handicap of preventing one from carrying the 100lbs of baggage advertised by Vans. My wife an I together are around 300lbs, with 100 lbs of baggage and full fuel it seems we may be out of the aft CG envelope assuming IO-360, CS prop, IFR instrumentation, etc even though we'd be under max gross weight. Even if we were okay with full fuel, I'm assuming we would be well aft once fuel burns down after several hours of cruise.

Is this a design "problem", am I missing something, or is this something that can be mitigated by building carefully?

Greg
Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 AM

With that setup up you will be fine.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Baggage Capacity

Herb,

Do you know where I could get some ballpark weight and balance figures so I can run the numbers and make an estimate on how close I'd be to aft CG?

Greg
Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Your desired setup sounds pretty similar to mine, and with two old school FAA pax (170lb each), zero fuel and 100lb of bags, I'm 0.5" within my aft cg limit. This is assuming that you build with all options forward. My transponder is under the sub panel, my GPS antennas are in the engine bay, I have no aft mounted ELT and my AHRS are on the sub panel. I also laid down a pretty light paint job. Given that your combined pax weight is less, you should be fine, but I still stand by the fact that if I were to do it again I'd get a lighter prop/engine combo that my Hartzell BA and IO360-M1B setup an use the 0320 engine mount.
Tom.