What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One Week Wonder. They did it !!!

Arie

Well Known Member
Well done to every one working on the RV12 one week wonder this week. You accomplished someting amazing ,and it is a privilege just to be part of it. We have been watching the progress every day from the other side of the earth, and we are so proud to be a part of the global RV family.
Well done guys and girls!!!

The Vans crew worked late into the night several days to meet the schedule. All those guys in the dark blue shirts deserve special recognition.

The Vans crew worked late into the night several days to meet the schedule. All those guys in the dark blue shirts deserve special recognition.

I agree Kyle, every time I logged in ,I saw the guys in the dark blue shirts leading from the front. Scott Mc Daniels ,you are a machine!!

A big Thank You to everyone that participated in the build.

It was an amazing experience.

Special thanks to the the entire team from Van's that never failed to put out 110%, even when we thought we had nothing left.

Now I am going through go and sleep for 2 or 3 days............

Well done to every one working on the RV12 one week wonder this week. You accomplished someting amazing ,and it is a privilege just to be part of it. We have been watching the progress every day from the other side of the earth, and we are so proud to be a part of the global RV family.
Well done guys and girls!!!

On Monday, I saw Van himself deburring wing ribs. The last time I looked on Friday before I left the show, they hadn't started the fiberglass work on the canopy, so I feared they wouldn't finish on time. Glad I was wrong.

What a great group of guys!

I had the privilege of working with the Van?s team all week. Scott, Ed, Tony, Ryan, and Davis never slowed down and amazingly kept their good dispositions despite being peppered with constant questions from the volunteers, the press, and the visitors. It was heartening to see Van and Mitch working elbow to elbow with us whenever they could break away from other obligations.

This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I was lucky to be a part of. Thanks to Scott and the whole team for including me in this epic event.

It was great to make my tiny contribution to this project. I concur on the infinite patience of the Van's crew, especially since they must have been tired. (cause we all know they were burning the midnight oil too)

Spending my Friday morning in the tent also afforded me the opportunity to meet Van himself, which was a nice touch.

I had the privilege of working with the Van?s team all week. Scott, Ed, Tony, Ryan, and Davis never slowed down and amazingly kept their good dispositions despite being peppered with constant questions from the volunteers, the press, and the visitors. .....

I witnessed that. Could not believe the patients that all the core crew displayed, especially Scott BTW, in staying focused on the mission while being continually distracted. Try building a quality airplane with a microphone being shoved in your face every 20 minutes asking you questions about what you were doing. Was an incredible accomplishment.

Time Lapse Video of One Week Wonder

I wonder if someone is going to post a time lapse video?

It's on the EAA/Airventure web site under "One Week Wonder."

NOTE: This post was updated on August 6, 2018 because I had mistakenly posted a link to a previous year's OWW build. The above link should now show the 2018 OWW completion of the RV-12iS.

Last edited:
Did she fly today/

I had a blast working on the left wing and flaperon on Tuesday. It was great to see the general public pulling rivets and signing their names.

I am assuming that the 12 flew. Is there any video of the first flight?

...I am assuming that the 12 flew. Is there any video of the first flight?

Seems like I heard that Vic Syracuse will make the first flight on Tuesday, July 31. I believe it's on the audio of the video showing the first engine start and taxi.

If you happen to have Facebook, both Vans and EAA?s pages has a Facebook Live recording of last night?s first flight.

And I will echo... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Scott and the crew. This was an incredible experience. I?m just sorry it drained you guys so many nights after show close. Meeting the other names behind the phones and email addresses, and getting a few seconds to work with Van himself... absolutely priceless.

Seems like I heard that Vic Syracuse will make the first flight on Tuesday, July 31. I believe it's on the audio of the video showing the first engine start and taxi.

Vic made the first flight of the One Week Wonder last night (Monday, 30 July). Check out EAA's facebook page for some photos and video.

All went well, and I and others will be continuing the flight testing in the coming days.

Congrats again to all who helped out!

I flew the second flight on the One Week Wonder this morning. Great flight on a lovely morning. Everything A-OK!

A huge congratulations to everyone involved with the build. Every day it was a treat to watch it come together at a rate at which I could only dream of completing my own build :p. The first pop rivet I've ever pulled is on the left wing, and you bet I was proud to sign my name next to it!

Does anyone know which of the three final paint schemes ended up winning? They said they would announce the winner on Sunday but I've checked every article and social media account for both EAA and Van's and I can't find the announcement anywhere.

CHAbElU.jpg

I am secretly hoping the wings just get clear coat leaving all the signatures to be there for the lifetime of the aircraft.

Back