What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Home insurance for those with airstrips?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Hey everybody, I have a question for those who have airstrips on their property, who do you use for Home Insurance? Feel free to PM or email me with details

Thanks

Rob
[email protected]

I use Farm Family for my home, but they will not cover the airstrip. I have a separate policy for that through Air Capitol Insurance. It runs me about $1,100/year, and I live in New Jersey, where insurance is notoriously off the charts.

When you talk to your broker, make sure to see if your state is one with a Recreational Use Statute in place. (Complements of the RAF.)

What it does is treat anyone who balls up their plane on your field, even if they are invited as a "trespasser". So, if they try to sue you, they have no standing. This works the same way as a hiker or fisherman.

This works as long as you are not trying profit from the runway and there is no known dangerous conditions on the runway. (Ditch, cable, equipment parked in the runway, etc.)

Here's the map.

We had one member who's liability insurance was reduced when he showed this to his broker.

Good luck!

Last edited:
When you talk to your broker, make sure to see if your state is one with a Recreational Use Statute in place. (Complements of the RAF.)

What it does is treat anyone who balls up their plane on your field, even if they are invited as a "trespasser". So, if they try to sue you, they have no standing. This works the same way as a hiker or fisherman.

This works as long as you are not trying profit from the runway and there is no known dangerous conditions on the runway. (Ditch, cable, equipment parked in the runway, etc.)

Here's the map.

We had one member who's liability insurance was reduced when he showed this to his broker.

Good luck!

IANAL, but...at least in CA, the statute reads, in part:

This section does not limit the liability which otherwise exists (a) for willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure or activity; or (b) for injury suffered in any case where permission to enter for the above purpose was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, paid to said landowner by the state, or where consideration has been received from others for the same purpose; or (c) to any persons who are expressly invited rather than merely permitted to come upon the premises by the landowner.

As I said, IANAL, but seems to me to read that if you invite your flying buddies to your place, and one of them gets hurt or killed, then the "recreational purpose" exemption doesn't apply...you expressly invited them.

You might try Regal Aviation. This is what our HOA uses. They may or may not have a product for your home and/or property. Our policy is strictly liability. Each home owner carries their own personal Home policies. I carry an additional umbrella policy with an aviation rider.

IANAL, but...at least in CA, the statute reads, in part:

As I said, IANAL, but seems to me to read that if you invite your flying buddies to your place, and one of them gets hurt or killed, then the "recreational purpose" exemption doesn't apply...you expressly invited them.
Only in California would they make such a dumb law! I knew there was a reason I took a transfer from CA to NJ back in the 90's. Although I'm not sure NJ politics was really any better because they have had longer to practice the art.

Don't invite them. Problem solved.

Only in California would they make such a dumb law! I knew there was a reason I took a transfer from CA to NJ back in the 90's. Although I'm not sure NJ politics was really any better because they have had longer to practice the art.

Don't invite them. Problem solved.

Well, it appears NJ doesn't even *have* recreational use statutes at all. I suppose (again, IANAL) that means that even an uninvited hunter, hiker or aviator can hold the landowner liable. Good plan.

Well, it appears NJ doesn't even *have* recreational use statutes at all. I suppose (again, IANAL) that means that even an uninvited hunter, hiker or aviator can hold the landowner liable. Good plan.
Yep, because then I was transferred again. This time to the Carolinas.

Umbrellas

You might try Regal Aviation. This is what our HOA uses. They may or may not have a product for your home and/or property. Our policy is strictly liability. Each home owner carries their own personal Home policies. I carry an additional umbrella policy with an aviation rider.

Is your umbrella policy with one of the big national firms?

I'm interested in the aviation rider option.

Back