Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Default Empennage "H" Jig Questions

Hi Folks,

I'm preparing to commence building my H-jig for the empennage using some 5.5" X 5.5" laminated posts and have some questions:

Is 5.5" too wide for the horizontal beam, i.e., would the extra width create problems?

Van's jig sketch recommends 98"-100" for the span of the horizontal beam...my lumber would yield a shorter length (between the upright posts) of about 95"; Would this create a problem?

Thanks,
KJP
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 AM

The width of the vertical posts doesn't really matter. What you need to be concerned about is the gap between the emp tip ribs and the vertical posts. There are several rivets in the tip ribs that must be set with a hand squeezer and if the posts are too close youll have issues.
The minimum number of planes one should own is one. The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of planes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of planes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

- Veluminati