What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Install Party

Champ

Well Known Member
Trial fit on wings went real well. Used hardware store bolts (5 thou under) with a generous taper ground down on their ends as well as polishing the shanks on a scotch brite wheel. Applied Boelube on mating surfaces and bolts. Tapped them into place. I will use the same at final install and switch out one at a time for close tolerance bolts.

Lots of help made the job easy. L-R - Ben, Fred, Paul, Me, son Tom (a great help all along and fellow pilot/builder) and grandson Jack (future pilot).

WingInstallParty_zps87dade39.jpg

Glad it went well, mine are going on for the first time this weekend. I am kinda excited about it. Plan on leaving them on a while, got a lot of work to do with them on.

Bird

Sweet! Glad to hear it wen't well. I'm doing mine on Sunday this weekend too!

Any tricks to keep in mind other than the hardware store bolts?

How long did you leave your fuel lines sticking out before putting the wings in?

Andy, mine are 3 1/4 inches out, found that on the dwgs, I hope it's close, I don't want to rework them.
Bird

My wings will be on for a couple weeks. So far the rear spar attachments are done - after lots of Smart level checks & careful measurements to zero the sweep & set incidence. Also mounted the tank attachments (F-863 to T-405 fittings). On to plumbing & wiring connections.

Andy,
I made sure I had a generous & smooth taper on my fit up bolts so there is no chance of scoring the spars with the threads (ground & then finished them on a Scotchbrite wheel). Tapped them alah drift pin & didn't have to turn them to get them to go.

Andy, Bird,
My left tank has a flop tube so the fuel line exists the fuselage & then immediately 90s forward. Plenty of clearance to get the left wing on. I left about 4" of fuel line sticking out on the right side - to much is better than not enough. I ended up disconnecting this line at the shut off valve and drawing it back into the fuselage to get the wing on. Now I can get an exact measurement to the tank fitting, cut the line, flare & reconnect.

Last edited:
Back