What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using chromate free primer systems?

empacher

I'm New Here
I've been using Aerodur 2100 mgrp primer for a while and it's absolutely fantastic. I can throw it on after a quick wash with Prekote and a Scotchbrite pad and it's basically indestructible. I also don't have to wear a hazmat suit to apply the stuff. I've had zero issues dimpling primed sheets and it never flakes or scratches off.

The problem is, it's become impossible to find and all the Akzo-nobel vendors are suddenly trying to charge $600-$1000 per gallon. To add insult to injury, the Prekote people don't seem interested in returning calls or emails on what primers they have tested with.

Has anyone had any luck with the PPG or Sherwin Willams (or other) chromate free systems, particularly with Prekote pre-treatment?

We have never been using either chromate or epoxy, way too nasty chemistry for continued use.

In the UK we have a product called Tetrosyl Etch prime, it is a simple 50/50 mix of paint and etch activator/thinner. Has been around for years so will be available in the States. PPG have a similar product they use for refinishing trains and aluminum truck bodies. It is super easy to spray, simple mask required only, sticks like the proverbial. It does need a build prime over it if for external, but for internal protection, it is fine.

PM for actual detail.

I am also using an aerosol 1k epoxy primer on all lapping surfaces now to prevent tinworm creeping out in service and ACF50 post painting.

Back