What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main tire inner tube

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
About to replace the tires on the next annual and will replace the tubes as well. Aircraft Spruce has what I think is the correct tire for my RV-8 but not 100% sure. The description is:

097-500-0 15x6.0-6 Michelin Airstop Tube 06-01373 $83.75

Or Vans has this one:
5:00X5-6 Main Gear Tube for one and two place RV's and RV-10 nosewheel $59.00

Are the Michelin tubes that much better than what Vans offers? Are both of these the correct ones?

Oly:

The RV-8 uses the same tire as the RV-6. 5.00 - 5

I believe that Airstop tube you list is the incorrect tube. Van's tube is the correct one.

I believe you want / need the $118.75 tube. (I paid around $35 for mine about 20-years ago.)

MICHELIN AIRSTOP TUBE 5.00-5 BNT90 097-908-0
Part# 06-00019
MFR Model# 097-908-0

I would pay the extra money for the Michelim Airstop tubes. I add air to them once a year. The tube Van's Aircraft furnish with the kit needed air every 30-days when I live in Kalifornia.

The builder / owner of your RV-8 was using Wilkerson Aircraft Retreads and turned me on to them years ago. Not sure what their price is but last purchase was $55 with their core delivered. It is necessary to PHONE them to place an order.

Last edited:
On my RV-8s I've used the Michelin Airstop Tubes, 500-5, with the TR67 valve (bent 90 Deg.). I've been quite happy with them.

I usually buy them from Desser or ACS, along with tires. It looks like Michelin replaced the older P/N 092-308-0 with P/N 097-908-0, according to ACS. Here are the Desser links:

P/N 092-308-0:
https://shop.desser.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=A53DCE49C83849599E6DBEEA2FA8B9CE

Or:

P/N 097-908-0
https://shop.desser.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=ED8709328715451BAB700D461CDC8E11

Same tube, different price, love that creative marketing !!

slightly off-subject, but is the standard procedure to always replace the tubes when replacing the tire? I kinda hate to toss out a good air-stop tube if it's not necessary....

slightly off-subject, but is the standard procedure to always replace the tubes when replacing the tire? I kinda hate to toss out a good air-stop tube if it's not necessary....

It is standard procedure for those who are convinced you must replace the tube when replacing a tire......and not standard procedure for those who aren't convinced the tube must be replaced when replacing a tire............... :)

Tubes & Tyres

I'm an A&P, and I’ve always seen in print that that the recommended thing is to replace tubes with tires, but I've replaced lots of tires while reusing the tubes. No problems with it so far, as long as the tube is in good shape. We use the leakproof tubes in our RV-6 and love 'em. We too add air about once a year. Also we use the tires from Vans... no problems so far.

Last edited:
For the last 7 years I have had good luck with the Aero Classic Leakguard tubes from ACS. Only add air once a year when the weather gets colder. About half the price of the Michelin's.

The maintenance department for our flight school of 28 planes noticed a significant reduction in flat tires when they started replacing tubes at every tire change a few years ago. The tube cost was more than offset by the labour and aircraft downtime cost savings.

Personally I inspect the tube for chaffing and creases. If it looks good I will reuse it once before replacing. Use a good amount of talc or baby powder when reinstalling. Works for my piece of mind.

For the last 7 years I have had good luck with the Aero Classic Leakguard tubes from ACS. Only add air once a year when the weather gets colder. About half the price of the Michelin's.

The maintenance department for our flight school of 28 planes noticed a significant reduction in flat tires when they started replacing tubes at every tire change a few years ago. The tube cost was more than offset by the labour and aircraft downtime cost savings.

Personally I inspect the tube for chaffing and creases. If it looks good I will reuse it once before replacing. Use a good amount of talc or baby powder when reinstalling. Works for my piece of mind.

I echo the experience. Since they came out I've always replaced mine with the Aero Classic Leakguard innertubes and Michelin tires. I've added air when it got cold and replaced tubes when I replaced tires. Don't know what I have in inside mine now but logbooks say "replaced tubes & Airhawk tires" 2 years ago. I did notice that I've had to add air a few times in the last year.

I am in the same camp and don't understand the concept. Granted they say when it is filled with air, it stretches but does it really stretch more when is inside the tire and if so, hasn't already stretched on the first use.

I never replaced my inner tube in my last RV for the 8 years that I had it and 5-6 tire replacements. I never had any flats on those or lose air any more than normal. I have not replaced my inner tubes on my last annual and planning on keeping them as long as they keep the air-leak rate. I add air about once a year.

Inner tube

Thanks Condor, I ordered the Michelin 908, that?s the replacement for the 308 I had.

Back