What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proper use of fuel boost pump - io360

fbrewer

Well Known Member
Our RV6 with an io360 has a fuel boost pump.

Our checklist calls for ON for engine start, but does not address it thereafter.

What is the proper usage of the boost pump?

What is the purpose of the fuel boost pump?

Boost pump

Manufacturer checklists for fuel injected low wing planes that are very similar to our RV’s (Mooneys & Arrows) call for boost pump ON before start for priming then OFF. ON for Takeoff and Landing. All other times the electric boost pump is usually OFF. I like to turn the pump ON when taking the runway for Takeoff and leave it ON until about 1000’ agl. Approaching to land it comes ON when I run the Before Landing Checklist or Flow or no later than entering the pattern, then OFF after landing. Boost pump’s main purpose is to back up the engine driven pump in case of failure and to provide fuel flow for starting.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Last edited:
Switching tanks...

I use the aux pump to ensure an uninterrupted supply of fuel under positive pressure when switching from one tank to the other.

The drill goes something like: Boost pump-ON; Note fuel pressure rise; Switch tanks; After 30 seconds (if no engine anomalies or roughness is noted); Boost pump-OFF.

Boost pump on for priming during engine start. Pump on during fuel tank switching, downwind to land and takeoff...

Manufacturer checklists for fuel injected low wing planes that are very similar to our RV?s (Mooneys & Arrows) call for boost pump ON before start for priming then OFF. ON for Takeoff and Landing. All other times the electric boost pump is usually OFF. I like to turn the pump ON when taking the runway for Takeoff and leave it ON until about 1000? agl. Approaching to land it comes ON when I run the Before Landing Checklist or Flow or no later than entering the pattern, then OFF after landing. Boost pump?s main purpose is to back up the engine driven pump in case of failure and to provide fuel flow for starting.

This is going to depend upon the installation. The Cherokees in which I trained used the pump on takeoff and landing, but I once lost an engine in a Baron right at touchdown due to flooding. Scared the heck out of me!

Ditto to above plus....

If you do a quick turn and have a hot engine, once you start it, the engine quite often stumbles a lot with vapour in the lines. Running the pump helps - I know it depends if you have a return line set up, but it helps either way.

This is going to depend upon the installation. The Cherokees in which I trained used the pump on takeoff and landing, but I once lost an engine in a Baron right at touchdown due to flooding. Scared the heck out of me!

Agreed: Continental engine installations in Barons, 210?s Bonanzas etc are quite different from the ?normal? RV/Lyc setup.

Don B

Back