What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor ball joint connector

gyoung

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to attach my prop cable to the governor. This is a redux of a circa 2001 install which used a ball joint connector. The ball stud stayed on the governor arm but the cable side has been lost. That was the standard method back then but Van's doesn't seem to sell them now. ACS does but before I order a replacement, is there a reason I don't hear any discussion about this method and only about rod ends?
Governor%20ball%20joint%20connector.jpg

A "Heim" joint is a perfectly appropriate connection in this case, as long as it has a safety locking feature. They are typically much more expensive than rod-ends. Heim joints are especially desired where a connection is frequently made and unmade, such as in control connections for sailplanes. Failure to insure that the joint is closed properly, and safetied, can and has had, unfortunate consequences.

I'm getting ready to attach my prop cable to the governor. This is a redux of a circa 2001 install which used a ball joint connector. The ball stud stayed on the governor arm but the cable side has been lost. That was the standard method back then but Van's doesn't seem to sell them now. ACS does but before I order a replacement, is there a reason I don't hear any discussion about this method and only about rod ends?

Some builders may have used this type of a connection, but it has never been standard and this part has never been sold by Van's.

Some builders may have used this type of a connection, but it has never been standard and this part has never been sold by Van's.

If not from Van's then maybe it came with the governor. I don't recall where it came from or why I used it but then it was 17 years ago and I've slept since then. I think I'll just go with the rod end method. Thanks.

A "Heim" joint is a perfectly appropriate connection in this case, as long as it has a safety locking feature. They are typically much more expensive than rod-ends. Heim joints are especially desired where a connection is frequently made and unmade, such as in control connections for sailplanes. Failure to insure that the joint is closed properly, and safetied, can and has had, unfortunate consequences.

What is the "safety locking feature"? The Heim joints that I have seen have a larger washer on the outside in case the bearing fails and a jam nut on the threads to prevent it from unscrewing. Is there something that I am missing?

What is the "safety locking feature"? The Heim joints that I have seen have a larger washer on the outside in case the bearing fails and a jam nut on the threads to prevent it from unscrewing. Is there something that I am missing?

I will let Steve the Aeronautical Engineer answer about the term "heim" as my familiarity is as you describe. However, for the type of ball joint shown, there is a barrel fitting with a cap screw socket the ball sits in. The locking feature is a spring steel clip that snaps over the fitting so the ball can not pop out of the joint should it loosen.

It is the same as the throttle carb connection on the certified Grumman Tiger.

They work for decades and are cheap enough for a preventative replacement every 5 years or so if you are concerned about wear. A sideways pull will give a quick confirmation that the locking spring collar still is working.

The Grumman part number is C508 and around $25 for a certified version of the Spruce part.

It is the same as the throttle carb connection on the certified Grumman Tiger.

They work for decades and are cheap enough for a preventative replacement every 5 years or so if you are concerned about wear. A sideways pull will give a quick confirmation that the locking spring collar still is working.

The Grumman part number is C508 and around $25 for a certified version of the Spruce part.

FletchAir Parts in Texas sells the part. I use one on my carb heat. IIRC, I paid $28 for the "Ball Joint, Quick Release Throttle Rod End" when I replaced the last one several years ago. That was the first replacement after many years and a couple thousand hours. The part number above can be found on page 73 of their PDF catalog.

As Scott said, Van's never sold the part. IIRC, Van's recommended a HEIM connector as others have said. I use the HEIM on Throttle, Mixture, and Prop but use the quick connect ball joint on my carb heat to make removal of the FAB easier.

My Bucker has them for Throttle, Mixture, and Alternate Air/Heat. Don't see any reason to change them.

Just to clarify for everyone, Heim is a company that makes rod-end bearings, other bearings, and spherical ball connectors. In the glider world, the spherical ball connectors are colloquially referred to as Heim joints. Much as a photocopy machine would be called a Xerox machine, and Xerox no doubt makes other products besides photocopiers.

There are two types of locking feature found on Heim spherical ball joints. One is a safety pin like a diaper pin inserted through a hole in the release bar that prevents it from being depressed to release the joint. The other is a threaded collar that when backed out on its thread to the end covers the bottom of the release bar and prevents it from being depressed. In both designs, the release bar is spring loaded to keep it 'latched' but is not fail safe without the safety.

My apologies for the confusion on the colloquialism. Heim, Aurora, and other rod-end bearings are typically installed with an oversize washer on the attach bolt that prevents the outer bearing shell from disconnecting completely in the event that the bearing fails.

Some pics to help out:

safetypin.jpg

2re5j14.jpg

Do these have anything to do with Heim per a previous posting?

I've always seen them referenced by the German names - with this example from a Schempp-Hirth FAA AD

This document clarifies information in Airworthiness Directive (AD) 97-08-06 that applies to Louis L'Hotellier S.A. (L'Hotellier) ball and swivel joint quick connectors installed on gliders and sailplanes that are not equipped with a "Uerling" sleeve or an LS-safety sleeve.

Back