What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA in the RV-12

Sorry to hear that. Inexplicably, when I flew yesterday the audio worked correctly. I don't think I did anything to correct it other than powering down the system the the last time I flew and powering it up when I flew yesterday. Hope you find your problem. Have you checked the Dynon forum? Maybe there's some help there.

Has anyone found a source of the connectors/pitot rivet in the uk as I've now spent hours trying to find them?

Looking at mcmaster's site I was wondering if using something like this at the wing root would be any good (is there space to fit it in the attachment plate)?

I've only just started on the wings but figured I might as well get the bits early

Possible solution?

Sorry to hear that. Inexplicably, when I flew yesterday the audio worked correctly. I don't think I did anything to correct it other than powering down the system the the last time I flew and powering it up when I flew yesterday. Hope you find your problem. Have you checked the Dynon forum? Maybe there's some help there.

Tom,
After my upgrade to the Garmin GTR-200 radio I was getting intermittent sound from the AOA. Changing the auxiliary 2 input squelch in the radio from 30 percent to zero percent fixed the problem.

Madmaveric, read the prior posts in this thread. You will find multiple parts lists including a wing root disconnect. There is room in the attachment plate. Don't plan for a "slide the wing in and it mates up automatically" fit. Plan on dangling about a 6 inch piece from the attachment plate with half of the quick disconnect, then the part from the wing with some slack. Plan on pulling the wing out about a foot, disconnecting, then pulling the remainder. The 1/8 inch tubing works just fine.

Madmaveric, read the prior posts in this thread. You will find multiple parts lists including a wing root disconnect. There is room in the attachment plate. Don't plan for a "slide the wing in and it mates up automatically" fit. Plan on dangling about a 6 inch piece from the attachment plate with half of the quick disconnect, then the part from the wing with some slack. Plan on pulling the wing out about a foot, disconnecting, then pulling the remainder. The 1/8 inch tubing works just fine.

I've managed to find the parts easily in the US, I'm just having issues finding them in the UK (or someone who ships from the US) :(

I did find one uk site but after an hour of searching I still wasn't sure if I was buying something that would work, I was up to about ?80 (~$125) just for the pipe and connectors (they only sell in large quantities) so thought I'd ask on here in case someone had found them.

I'll have another search around.

I plan on doing as you mention for the connection (leaving a foot or two free) but thought the wall style connector would be cleaner for the attachment.

Madmaveric
If and hopefully when you find a supplier that will ship overseas, or a UK supplier, can you please post the details here?
It is a perenial problem for those living outside US.
Also, if you do find alternate items, can you post details of them and how well they work?
John

The only suppliers I have found so far in the uk are

http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/ only seem to sell large quantities.

I have just found the following that might work (still looking but off to bed in a bit so will continue tomorrow).
http://www.omega.co.uk/ - These look better, still haven't found the Dynon connector on there though (1/16 pipe to male 1/8 DPT I believe it is) or somewhere to get a static rivet from in the uk (may end up using a normal one)
My current list is looking like the following.
From Omega I think these might be the start of the kit
TYTT-18116-25 - tubing - ?20 tubing
FT-PMCD16-01-12 - ?13.50 bulkhead connector
FT-PMC22-01-12 - ?6.70 builkhead insert

It isn't finished yet and I'm not sure if I have the right connectors for the wing root connection so feel free to point out mistakes/changes that might be better.

Madmaveric
If and hopefully when you find a supplier that will ship overseas, or a UK supplier, can you please post the details here?
It is a perenial problem for those living outside US.
Also, if you do find alternate items, can you post details of them and how well they work?
John

Are you guys trying to find ployproplene (sp) tubing compression couplings...1/4" x 1/4" or 1/4" X 1/8" to act as a quick disconnect @ wing roots?

They run around $33.00 for package of 10ea. I'm going to use the 1/4 X 1/8 on my -12. As I ran 1/8" tubing in wing to static rivet (aoa) source and 1/4" from the Adahrs unit. So that works out to $3.30 a piece plus postage.

I'll be happy to get some if you want.

Last edited:
I made my own wing root coupling for free. Find an old radio or TV telescoping antenna. It will have several diameters of tube that slide into each other. Pick the size that will fit snugly into the AOA plastic tube. Cut a piece of the metal tube about 1.5 inches long. This tube will be the coupling. The next task is to mount it to the side of the fuselage. I drilled a hole through the RV-12 sheet metal and inserted a hollow bolt and put a nut on the other side. Then inserted the piece of antenna tube with glue to hold it inside of the hollow bolt. Where to get a hollow bolt? Make one. Clamp a piece of wood to the drill press and drill a hole. Screw the bolt into the wood. Then drill a hole through the bolt.
Next time the wings are off, I will take a picture.

Are you guys trying to find ployproplene (sp) tubing compression couplings...1/4" x 1/4" or 1/4" X 1/8" to act as a quick disconnect @ wing roots?

They run around $33.00 for package of 10ea. I'm going to use the 1/4 X 1/8 on my -12. As I ran 1/8" tubing in wing to static rivet (aoa) source and 1/4" from the Adahrs unit. So that works out to $3.30 a piece plus postage.

I'll be happy to get some if you want.

Ric
Thanks - that is very generous of you and much appreciated.
I'm not at that stage yet so of possible, can I take a raincheck on your offer?
John

Ric
I just changed my mind and will accept your kind offer.
PM and email with my details sent via VAF
John

The only suppliers I have found so far in the uk are

http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/ only seem to sell large quantities.

I have just found the following that might work (still looking but off to bed in a bit so will continue tomorrow).
http://www.omega.co.uk/ - These look better, still haven't found the Dynon connector on there though (1/16 pipe to male 1/8 DPT I believe it is) or somewhere to get a static rivet from in the uk (may end up using a normal one)
My current list is looking like the following.
From Omega I think these might be the start of the kit
TYTT-18116-25 - tubing - ?20 tubing
FT-PMCD16-01-12 - ?13.50 bulkhead connector
FT-PMC22-01-12 - ?6.70 builkhead insert

It isn't finished yet and I'm not sure if I have the right connectors for the wing root connection so feel free to point out mistakes/changes that might be better.

Update to this is I found a dynon connector (I think) - ?8.92
http://kinesis.co.uk/kx-vaporsafe-barbed-tubing-connection-1-16-id-tubing-x-1-8-npt-polypropylene-pk-10-ab-121x.html

I added AOA to mine while I had the wings off for some other stuff. In hindsight, if I were starting over again I'd get some different material but in the end it worked out well. I ordered what I thought I would need, then change plans in mid-stream.

I ordered the 1/16" ID Tygon tubing as detailed in Joe Gores' original post (thanks, Joe!) After some more consideration, I decided to use a rivet for the AOA sense port instead of a ball inflation needle -- so 1/8" ID tubing would have been a better choice. All it took though, was a short piece of 1/8" ID vacuum line and a tiny dab of RTV to seal the hoses together and the hose to the rivet.

Calibration was simple and I now have a nice AOA display to remind me that I still tend to land too fast. And, if anyone needs quarter-turn fittings for 1/16" tubing, I have several sets to spare. Yours for the cost of postage and a padded envelope.

AOA

I would also like AOA in the RV12 I'm building, my question is: The ADHRS has three connections, one for static inpute line, one for line leading to instrument panel and the third which I was wondering might be for AOA hookup from wings...I'm not worried about ability to hook air lines while installing or removing wings...any thoughts??:

Check the documentation for your ADAHRS (Dynon or Garmin), but each has ports for pitot, static and AOA.

I used small diameter flexible tubing for the AOA line. There's a few inches of extra tubing on the wing and fuselage sides, and I use a quarter-turn quick connect fitting at the wing root. Slide the wing in most of the way, connect the tubing and tuck it out of the way of the electrical connections, then slide the wing in the last few inches.

RV12 AOA

We installed the Dynon AOA system in our RV12 4 years back.
We do take the wings off on occasion. We are using quality bulkhead mounted quick connect/disconnect pneumatic fittings. No issues to date.
While working in the manufacturing industry for several years I have witnessed some vary challenging operating environments using these style pneumatic connectors.
They have worked very well and we would recommend them to others in this application.

RV12 AOA

Any of the many Industrial Supply sources have these style fittings.
MSC, Grainger, McMaster-Carr.
If unable to find advise and I will locate part numbers and source.

Bulkhead push to connect connector

While looking at the bulkhead connectors available from the vendors who's links Joe provided yesterday (thanks Joe), I ran across this inexpensive bulkhead fitting for 1/8" OD tubing.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/84425867

Could not find a spec on the type of tubing acceptable for use with the fitting other than "works with most thermoplastics" ... so was wondering if the Tygon tubing Joe pioneered for use on the AOA is too soft for this kind of fitting? Guess at $8.50 a fitting it is cheep enough to get one and give it a try.

Any thoughts?

Happy building,

A salesperson at US Plastics probably could advise what fittings are compatible with what tubing. Tygon makes as many different types of tubing as Ford makes vehicles. So the Tygon part number will be needed before questioning the experts.

For those in the uk I managed to find a similar thing on amazon after much searching, it is a lot harder to find these in the uk.

I haven't tied it yet as I'm still building the wings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QSQAE7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
41q3MtLguJL.jpg

From post 44, works great.

All of these are the part numbers from mcmaster.com:
1 each 5047K12 Moisture-Resistant Acetal Sngl-Barb Fitting Adapter for 1/16" Tube ID X 1/8" NPT Male Pipe $1.10 each
This is the fitting that adapts from the tube to the 1/8 NPT female fitting on the Skyview ADHRS. It was available in a single quantity. In Joe's original post, he made this by melting another inflation needle into a plug.

1 pack 51525K211 Plastic Quick-Turn (Luer Lock) Coupling Nylon, Female X Barb, for 1/16" Tube ID, packs of 10 $3.41 per pack
1 pack 51525K121 Plastic Quick-Turn (Luer Lock) Coupling Nylon, Male X Barb, for 1/16" Tube ID, packs of 10 today $3.83 per pack
This is the disconnect fitting at the wing root. It was not available in a single quantity so I have given away a few but still have some left over.

I pull the wing out a few inches, then disconnect the fitting.

25 ft. 5006K51 Abrasion-Resistant Clear PVC Tubing 1/16" ID, 1/8" OD, 1/32" Wall Thickness, $0.15 per foot.

Total of all from mcmaster.com $12.00 plus shipping

AOA settings

I am tired of the AOA screaming and making my passenger nervous unnecessarily. Anyone changed the settings from the Dynon / RV standard setup settings?

I don't know how it's done on the Skyview, or whether you have the D180 or Skyview, but have you gone through the calibration procedure? Mine (D180) starts beeping in the yellow range. It's not too loud.

I tell my passengers they will hear some beeping as we're in the traffic pattern, as a way for me to be able to know my speed without having to look at the panel while close to the ground. The AOA tone is a lot less jarring than the stall warning was before I disconnected it.

AOA Settings

I am tired of the AOA screaming and making my passenger nervous unnecessarily. Anyone changed the settings from the Dynon / RV standard setup settings?

See p. 15-2 of the Skyview System Installation Guide where it states as follows: "Angle of Attack Audio Alert Volume To adjust the volume of the AOA Audio Alert: SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > AUDIO SETUP > AOA VOLUME: (0% TO 100%). Note that AOA VOLUME is a percentage of the audio level of MASTER VOLUME CONTROL. Example 1: If MASTER VOLUME CONTROL is set to 50%, and AOA VOLUME is set to 100%, the volume AOA Audio Alerts will be the same as all other audio from the SkyView system. Example 2: If MASTER VOLUME CONTROL is set to 100%, and AOA VOLUME is set to 50%, the volume AOA Audio Alerts will be approximately half as loud as all other audio from the SkyView system."

You may also choose to completely turn off the AOA auditory warning through the setup menu. Consult the Installation Guide for info.

Hope this helps.

Slane

Boomtype

I am still very, very curious for your answers to Tim's question #42: what about the Dynon ..532 boom type probe?
I myself am just working to this stadium. Haven't build the engine in yet, but I didn't buy the RV-pitot tube for this reason.
It sure saves a lot of plumbing and trouble. The boom works as a stall warning as well, so I intend not to bother for that one either when building the wings

It sure saves a lot of plumbing and trouble.

I have to disagree.

If a full wing mounted pitot/static/AOA probe is used, you have three lines that have to be disconnected/reconnected, and never get mixed up.

The standard pitot works very well and never has to be disconnected.... the standard static lines are short runs to the ADAHRS, and that leaves only one line for the AOA to be dealt with if a wing is ever removed.

Proposed AOA settings

Under the "Audio Setup" I was thinking of changing the :

"AOA Volume" from 90% to 60%
"AOA Tone Start" from 50% to 70%
"AOA Tone is Solid" from 70% to 90%
"Inhibit AO Below Airspeed" tone from 20 to 40 KTS
"Alert Volume" from 100 to 85

See anything wrong with this?

RV12 fuel pump switch

Joe- question re. An old post of yours: you installed a cut-off switch on your -12 for the fuel pump. I didn't build mine so I don't know the closest power wire to the panel to tap in to. Did you use a lighted rocker switch? How is it wired?Thanks. Ben. [email protected]

benburb - You might want to search these forums in particular for "vapor lock". Van's has the electric fuel pump running 100% of the time for a reason. I know some have added a switch to shut the electric pump off, but not having built your plane and perhaps not fully schooled in the 912ULS, you should research this subject before taking drastic steps.

Mine was built with an additional breaker installed next to the fuel valve. I'm doing the condition inspection now, and I'm going to remove the breaker and splice the wire. The only time I ever used it was when doing some testing on the ground.

Mine was built with an additional breaker installed next to the fuel valve. I'm doing the condition inspection now, and I'm going to remove the breaker and splice the wire. The only time I ever used it was when doing some testing on the ground.

Yes, I understand. When I want to run avionics or do testing on the ground I pull the 5A fuel pump fuse and immediately tape the fuse to the pilot control stick so I do not forget to reinstall.

Jim-Thanks for your suggestion I check the vapor lock thread. First let me apologize for hijacking the AOA thread, but since a few have responded... I built a Kitfox in 1995 with a Rotax 912UL and never had any vapor lock problems- it's not a ULS, so maybe that's why. I agree that Vans expects full-time use of the electric fuel pump, and I will do so. But it is annoying during time spent learning the G3X or whatever, so cutting it of can be desirable. I use, and highly recommend, a re-settable fuse (google it.) Simplest way, short of pulling the fuse, to shut it up temporarily. Also, full disclosure, I took off once with pump off- and at about 800 AGL the engine stumbled. Immediate re-setting of fuse restored full power. Engine-driven pump- 2.2 PSI or so- can't keep up with full throttle? I don't know.

re-settable fuse (google it.)

Actually Van's fuses have a built-in LED indicator that illuminates if a fuse is blown. As long as all fuses are installed correctly and none are illuminated then you are always go-to-go. Shutting off a resettable fuse has no assurance that it will be "reset" for flight. Sounds like a bad practice.

If I remove a fuse for any reason it immediately gets taped to the top of the pilot control stick with two complete wraps of 1" blue painters tape - impossible to not notice during flight preparations.

I built a Kitfox in 1995 with a Rotax 912UL and never had any vapor lock problems- it's not a ULS, so maybe that's why.

If the Kitfox was one of the later models with wing tanks it is using gravity to get fuel supplied to the engine driven fuel pump in all flight attitudes.

This all but eliminates the likelihood for vapor lock.

Back