What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Installation Question

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am about to install my wings for the first time. By measurement, I think the spar is about .003 wider than the box. Other posts here have suggested that the fit will be tight but that I should be able to get the wing in with a little lubrication and some wiggling.

The instructions say to bevel the spar. I have been looking at this nicely anodized structure and trying to decide exactly how much to file off and then what to do for corrosion protection. So those of you who have done so already, exactly how much bevel should I file? I had thought maybe 1/16th to1/8th on both the fore and aft surfaces. Taper it back mayby 1/4" or so? Does that sound about right? Too much? Too little?

Is anyone priming or using an alodine pen on the surface for corrosion protection?

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon (now LVK) CA

Just try it first. Put a little Boelube paste on the corners of the spar and slide the wing in, you'll be fine. Get at least one helper.

So those of you who have done so already, exactly how much bevel should I file? I had thought maybe 1/16th to1/8th on both the fore and aft surfaces. Taper it back mayby 1/4" or so? Does that sound about right? Too much? Too little?

I agree that you should try it first with a little BoeLube - and if you need to bevel the surface, just break the sharp corners. I did that - probably didn't disturb more than an eight of an inch in any direction - you just need them to get started in. You don't need to go back very far.

Wing fitting

Thanks, guys.

I will try the slide first with lots of beolube and bevel slightly if necessary.

Thanks,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA KLVK

wing fit

I beveled with a very fine flap wheel. No more than .060 back. I didn't want things to score or scuff even with lube. Perfect alignment is difficult to do.

Back