What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm ant

g zero

Well Known Member
Ok , did the search , read about 4 pages . Now my question , answers from flyers only please . Thinking of locating the comm and transponder antenna between the wing and fuselage forward of the rear spar , one on each side . Easy to access from the top at a latter date. Any feedback would be helpful . Will be removing the wings this week ( on with temp. bolts for flap, aileron and tip fitting)
Tom

RV 8. Not an A.

:confused: forward of the rear spar ? No sure what you mean. Are you trying to mount the antenna's on the bottom of the wings?

I mounted 1 com antenna "aft" of the main spar in the center of the fuselage. Just about below the front seat.

My XPDR is mounted very close to the right rear seat foot well and I just installed a ADSb antenna for my GDL39 close to the left footwell.

I know they say to keep all those antenna's further apart, but in an 8 you really don't have the space.

I do have a 2nd comm antenna in my left wingtip, but the range isn't as good as I hoped and won't do it again. I would just mount 2 comm antenna's where my XPDR and ADSb antenna's are.

My two Comm antennae are just behind the main spar, below the forward upslope of the passenger footwells. They work flawlessly. Transponder antenna is behind the rear spar, slightly offset to the left of fuse centerline. ADS-B antenna is on centerline just behind elevator bellcrank.

Don't think I have any external pictures handy, but here are a couple from the building phase:

Left Comm
img0164t.jpg

Transponder
img0159aab.jpg

Last edited:
Antenna placement

I placed the com and transponder antenna on each side just aft and below where the aileron pushrod exits the fuselage. The skin is stiff in the corner, and access is possible by removing the panel below the pilot. I just added a PDL-39 ADS-B in blade antenna in the belly skin just forward of the aft spar attachment. This area is accessible by removing the top aft wing-root fairing. I rooted the cable through the air vent hole for the rear cockpit.

The interior picture was shot with the Doll's original instrument panel.

xaw0pc.jpg

23lh1te.jpg

Back