What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FI fuel filters in the wing root?

randyintejas

Well Known Member
Anyone located them at this location and how did it work out? Install pic?s? I have the EFII pump but, I really would like to have a filter on each tank and I really do not want them in the cabin. Thinking about using 2 10 micron AN 6 reusable Golan filters

Last edited:
wing root filters

Hi Randy,
A filter in each wing root is a popular modification.
I would suggest a larger filtration size to avoid filling the filters with small particles that would otherwise go through the system without harm.

Robert Paisley

Micron size

Robert,
What micron size do you recommend pre your pump? I was planning on using Andair 62 micron filter. Having a filter in each wing root allows for redundancy and in the event of filter blockage, you can switch tanks which also switches filters.
Thanks,
Jack

Robert,
I just happen to be in the market for a pump and have not made a decision yet. I have a RV-9 and the fuel line in the wing root is straight in and will not allow a filter in this area. What about the kick plate in front of the spar? One on each side. I wonder if having two is less restriction and saves room at the pump installation. I don't like the idea of the large box Van's suplies with their pump. Smaller would be better.

Robert,
I just happen to be in the market for a pump and have not made a decision yet. I have a RV-9 and the fuel line in the wing root is straight in and will not allow a filter in this area. What about the kick plate in front of the spar? One on each side. I wonder if having two is less restriction and saves room at the pump installation. I don't like the idea of the large box Van's suplies with their pump. Smaller would be better.

You will also need a shut off valve before each filter...... and enough space to service the filter.

Hi Jack,
We use a 90 micron screen pre filter. I don't recommend going small with your filter body.
Surface area is life when it comes to filters. There are many high surface area filters available. summitracing.com is a good source.

Robert

Hi Mark,
The nice thing about the wing root solution is that you don't have to spill fuel in the cabin when you service the filters. If you use a little bit of teflon line in your root area, you can route things as desired. With just the pump after the fuel selector, you can skip the big box and make a very flat cover that barely sits above the floor stringers.

Robert

Here is what I did on my RV-8. Flow Ezy filter, part number 4ILA-03-25-BL. Andair fuel pump. Custom delrin mounts.

img1197ny.jpg

img1206sj.jpg

"use a little bit of teflon line in your root area, you can route things as desired"

Great idea, thanks.

Jeff, work of art!

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has thought of a filter bypass but having a filter in each wing root is effectively a bypass.
Having 2 filters for 2 independent sources of fuel accomplishes several things.
Besides the obvious it also allows you to clean your filter elements less often or maybe alternate, one year the left and one year the right.
I had 2 filters in the wing root in my 8 and 2 filters in my 10 under each seat.
These are airflow performance filters and I have never found anything clogging these filters apart from a couple of buggers of dried up pro seal.

gascolator filters in each wing root...

I used Andair gascolator filters in each wing root. Worked great.

Here are a couple of reference shots from my build...

img4844m.jpg

img5239a.jpg

Last edited:
no shut off valve for me...

I inspect / clean the filter with an empty tank... usually takes a minor amount of anticipation but is no big deal.

Back