What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arinc Converters

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I inherited a RV8 with a TruTrak EFIS and a Garmin 530. The GPS in the 530 interfaces directly with the EFIS, but in order to interface the NAV side of the 530 (to show a VOR/ILS/GS signal on the HSI) TruTrak requires and Arinc 429 to RS232 converter. The p/n is TS-43, and according to TruTrak they built it and it's specific to them.

As you can probably guess, I need one. Why Dad didn't install one when he put in the other $20k of avionics, I have no idea, but it isn't there. TruTrak no longer makes them and they don't seem to exist on the market.

I wouldn't be surprised if TruTrak repurposed a commercially available unit (why not, there are plenty out there), but they have been not forthcoming with details. Long shot, but is anybody out there in RV land familiar enough with the protocols of both boxes such that they could recommend a suitable replacement?

Right now I have a fully IFR, glass panel airplane that I can't fly a simple VOR approach with. :(

Thanks,
DEM

I'm in exactly the same situation as Rallylancer122.

If anyone has any tips about where to find an Arinc converter box for the Trutrak EFIS, please let me know.

I'm not familiar with the TT EFIS but the Dynon ARINC-429 works with their autopilot.

An email to SteinAir, who provided the hardware and harnesses for the install I did (530W, AFS 5500, TT AP) might provide a more solid answer. The signal out of the 429 can be split and and sent to different devices, assuming they speak the same language and baud rate.

Back