What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightest, least expensive EIS?

Kalibr

Well Known Member
What would be the lightest least expensive option (with or without integration with an existing EFIS) for getting RPM, OP, OT, CHT and EGT (plus possibly fuel pressure) on a 4 cyl Lycoming? Is it GRT EIS?

What would be the lightest least expensive option (with or without integration with an existing EFIS) for getting RPM, OP, OT, CHT and EGT (plus possibly fuel pressure) on a 4 cyl Lycoming? Is it GRT EIS?

I think so. That's why I purchased one a few years back. MGL's Extreme EFIS might be a contender too.

Does it have to be in one box? If not, check out MGL's discrete instruments as well. They are available with various combinations of capabilities. I have a 3" one for CHT/EGT (all four cylinders), and two 2" ones for fuel flow/levels and oil press/temp.

I think so. That's why I purchased one a few years back. MGL's Extreme EFIS might be a contender too.

Go to each website and add up all that's needed.

Then consider the installation. You will have at least 20 wires going from the engine to the EMS. On the MGL, all of these wires connect to a small unit mounted by the motor and only three wires pass through the firewall to the screen.

Later on when you want to add a feature, you just connect it to the engine side unit..... no diving under the panel to add a few wires to the already big bundle under there.

I just added an oil temp probe to my XTreme to replace Van's probe and gauge...... Total time 15 minutes. And I never stepped into the airplane or reached under the panel.

When I fired up the unit,, I noticed that all 4 egt's and all 4 cht's read exactly the same. The OAT and the oil temp were one degree higher.

Do read all of the features, it is very impressive as an EMS or an EFIS..... http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_ems.html

Don't commit too early in your build. These guys, I hear, are working on an engine monitor. Price point TBD, but look at the relative price point to their other offerings.

Back