What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch DME display?

supik

Well Known Member
I have studied the G3X Touch pilot manual, but haven't found any details about displaying DME distance from sources like VOR or ILS. Is it missing this capability or is it me missing a page in the manual? :confused:

thanks!

Unless you have a true "DME" connected somehow (have no idea if any are supported or not), then all your gonna have is GPS derived distances. Those are/can be displayed in various ways on the interface.

OH boy

I do not remember anything about DME being in the G3X-tough display pull ups. The WAAS GPS that is in the unit along with what other GPS units you have tied to the system give the unit the ability to let you just touch a spot or item and give you very good distance data. I find myself calling inbound distance, Alt. and time to target just to give a heads up for anyone for sequencing and spacing. Cool units, you will like them. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

P.S. The VOR's or ILS would be part of your FP and will be more like a Waypoint. You will get all that information in the display as you fly the planed rout or can change it on the go with a touch of a few soft keys.

Last edited:
Not for some time now.

..yes, does anybody have experience with a 'true dme' input?

It has been a number of years and in older certified aircraft that still have a DME installed. With the WAAS GPS systems taking over here in the States we are seeing the NDB, DME, VOR, fading away here. I know they are still relied on in other parts of the world, but as time goes by I think you will like the space based navigation and it will be coming to you more and more.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

It has been a number of years and in older certified aircraft that still have a DME installed. With the WAAS GPS systems taking over here in the States we are seeing the NDB, DME, VOR, fading away here. I know they are still relied on in other parts of the world, but as time goes by I think you will like the space based navigation and it will be coming to you more and more.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Robert, this is not an answer to my question. There is no way to approve an aircraft for IFR ops without DME in my part of the world.. I am not in love with DME nor would I like to spend the money but currently there is no workaround. In Europe, for 90% of the ILS or VOR approaches a DME is required.

thanks,

Here is a video posted as a training video by Garmin. It is using the G3X to fly a VOR/DME approach.

Here is also another link to VAF thread talking about G3X. (Search for DME once you open your browser in that thread.)

The latest revision to the G3X touch manual is located here.
Page 141 says: Localizer information cannot be viewed on the VOR Information Page. If a VOR
station is combined with a TACAN station it is listed as a VORTAC on the VOR
Information Page and if it includes only DME, it’s displayed as VOR-DME.

Last edited:
I think the answer to your question is the G3X has no provision for interfacing with a DME receiver. I'm not sure but I don't think Garmin even makes one. In any event, the expectation is that most will use GPS as a substitute for DME. If you need DME for certification purposes in your country then my guess is you'll have to install a standalone DME receiver like a King KN-63.

Here is a video posted as a training video by Garmin. It is using the G3X to fly a VOR/DME approach.

Actually that video shows a GPS based approach. It is a VOR/DME approach with a GPS overlay. The airplane in the video flew the GPS approach.

Last edited:
Robert, this is not an answer to my question. There is no way to approve an aircraft for IFR ops without DME in my part of the world.. I am not in love with DME nor would I like to spend the money but currently there is no workaround. In Europe, for 90% of the ILS or VOR approaches a DME is required.

thanks,

I see your concern now and am sorry we could not help with this. Perhaps one of the guys from Garmin tech will chime in here or it would be a good idea to E-mail them directly. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

G1000?

Thank you for your answers! It looks like the G1000 can display a true DME source. I am waiting for the G3X expert to chime in :)

0512081701.jpg

Original text from another forum: "The DME box is just above the "NAV 1 source". As stated above, that's true DME, and a separate system in the aircraft, unlike the "DME" from the GPS.

That was in the DA42"

DME Radio

Hello Igor,

There is no support for a separate DME radio in G3X.

This perhaps doesn't help you, but since 1998, the U.S. has allowed the use of TSO-C129/-C145/-C146 GPS in lieu of ADF and DME, as explained in AC 90-108, thus significantly lessening the need for ADF/DME support.

Many of the U.S. approaches still indicate "ADF required", but in most cases, GPS is allowed as a substitute.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Europe is many years behind the US in this regard. In many countries there is no definitive guidance if GPS is, really, acceptable as an alternative to DME. In many cases there is (probably) no issue of using GPS instead of ADF - although many approaches still use an ADF for the missed (don't ask why ...). As I understand it the situation with DME is less clear. Also several approaches frig the DME range to read zero at the threshold - so GPS range to the DME beacon position is inaccurate.

To remain legal I think there is no option but to install a 2nd hand KN-62 or 64.

Pete

Hello Igor,

There is no support for a separate DME radio in G3X.

This perhaps doesn't help you, but since 1998, the U.S. has allowed the use of TSO-C129/-C145/-C146 GPS in lieu of ADF and DME, as explained in AC 90-108, thus significantly lessening the need for ADF/DME support.

Many of the U.S. approaches still indicate "ADF required", but in most cases, GPS is allowed as a substitute.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thank you for your reply, now unfortunately it's confirmed and clear..

thanks,

Steve,

Europe is many years behind the US in this regard. In many countries there is no definitive guidance if GPS is, really, acceptable as an alternative to DME. In many cases there is (probably) no issue of using GPS instead of ADF - although many approaches still use an ADF for the missed (don't ask why ...). As I understand it the situation with DME is less clear. Also several approaches frig the DME range to read zero at the threshold - so GPS range to the DME beacon position is inaccurate.

To remain legal I think there is no option but to install a 2nd hand KN-62 or 64.

Pete

You are right; e.g. DME is mandatory for all IFR traffic in Germany (even crossing). EASA is afraid, the US could turn off the satellites/signal and the Europes Galileo GPS system is far away from being usable.. :( I hope for a miracle until I start ordering avionics.

Back