What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A on grass strip

WISC

Well Known Member
I am thinking of hangaring a 7A on a grass strip that isn't the smoothest. Several taildragger RVs operate on the field and a couple of C-150 and C-172.

I am going to order the anti-splat mod.
Any other mods that would help?

I will utilize soft field landing/TO techniques.
Any other lessons learned or recommendations?

Thanks.

Walk the runway couple times and try to remember where the offending spots are. First dozen takeoffs/landings may carry a little stress just go around and position yourself better. Learn the runway you have the skills to fly an airplane. If runway is long enough you can "jump" over soft spots juggling power/pitch/brakes. My airport has a long intersecting grass runway and on average one airplane flips over there each year. It's always a new to the field guy, could be with an expensive machine and tons of hours.

I flew my 7A out of our 1700 ft grass strip for 4.5 years with no problem. We have several woop dee dooos in the runway and it slopes a bit from one end to the other. Know where the irregularities are and using good technique will keep you out of trouble. Wheel pants were never an issue but I did remove them in the winter to prevent snow from packing in them. We snow blowed the runway to keep it clear in the winter, but often there was light snow left that could be a problem with wheel pants. Keep the tires inflated and the break-out force set properly and fly the airplane.

Roberta:)

Working for me so far....

I have based my 7A on a grass strip for the past year with no issues. I treat every take-off and landing like a soft field whether I am on grass or not. I do keep my tires well inflated. Seems to operate very well in and out of this strip.
I keep the nose gear as light as possible all the time. Not on the grass very long for take off roll in these planes... :)

The videos on the Anti-Splat Nose Job and Lip Skid should be of interest to you. They describe the conditions they are engineered for.

I have both. I also know people with -xA's that have neither.

Others will opine soon, but I think they are cheap insurance.

Make sure you have the Vans SB's complied with. I would also upgrade the axel to a Metco, or get the antisplat nose wheel mod. All of the mods are just insurance. My nose-job has shown no signs of ever actually touching the nose fork in 5 years of flying off of grass.

Nose gear

All original vans up front with no mods. Approx. 250 lbs on nose wheel with no constant speed prop. With proper technique, I have no concern about landing on grass. Transition training with Jan Bussell @Okeechobee on his private strip was anything but smooth, yet not an issue. Keep the stick back and all will be fine!

Takeoff and land on the mains. Keep the nose wheel up. Soft field technique.

Consider nose wheel/bearing improvements available from several vendors.

Consider bigger tires.

Ensure adequate tire/wheel pants clearance.

Bevan

which airport in florida? how long is it? may need to be rolled a bit.i have a stock 6A with no issues in mega hours on grass.
IMG_3448.jpg

I had only the Van's upgrade on the nose gear leg and fork. I had the old leg and fork for 4 years prior with no issues. I did the mod because I was selling the plane and wanted the new owner to be comfortable.

Roberta

Been there!

I had an 8A, and am based on grass. When I built the plane I added the Anti-Splat as insurance. The field got worse after a big twin was beta testing the props all day for two weeks, turning both ends of the field into sand traps. I ended up selling the plane after two othe RV'ers hooked a wheel in a hole. In retrospect I should have kept it and installed a larger nosewheel. I've seen it done somewhere on this site (7A I believe).

which airport in florida? how long is it? may need to be rolled a bit.i have a stock 6A with no issues in mega hours on grass.
IMG_3448.jpg

Loves Landing.(97FL) about 3500?
Talk about whoop dee doos.
Gotta plan your landing right.

Turbo, missed seeing you there this year. I looked for you, but could never find you. I departed right after Fred on his way back to BKV.

Last edited:
dan, i had to depart for grass roots aerodrome for a club function. what a great day it was for aviating.
rv.png

Back