What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First 3 tube G3X touch in an RV-7A

avionicsr

Hey guys,
New to the forum, but I thought you'd enjoy seeing the panel I put in my RV a few months ago. According to Garmin, it was the first 3 screen system outside of the factory, and its been a blast to fly. Let me know if you have any questions.

N705RVsmall.jpg

photo1small.jpg

That's one crammed full panel!

That's one expensive backup solution!

That would be hard to do with a tipper!

Good thing you have short legs!

Very cool and shows that anything is possible with enough effort.

"Let me know if you have any questions."

Why?

Such a layout is typically required for real 2 crew operations in the airlines, chartered world (twin turbo props, etc.) and so on ... Do you have a need for your right seater to have everything identical to you? Do you typically fly with a significant other that is als a pilot maybe?

Just curious ... that's a lot of money and weight and complexity ... I'm wondering what leads you to choosing this setup.

Sure looks gorgeous though! Is that the mid-continent stand-by instrument also? So the G3X do not have dual ADAHARS/batrteries, etc?

$$

Thanks for keeping the economy going.
Yikes... ****, i just sold my garmin stock.

:eek:

I know its only money but....you could have bought yourself and nice little country instead? Enjoy it.

Last edited:
So the G3X do not have dual ADAHARS/batrteries, etc?

It can have dual ADAHRS if you want (can install up to three) and the batteries are up to the builder.

None of which will protect you from a common mode failure so that is why it is still a good idea to install an independent backup solution with a different hardware/software base.

It can have dual ADAHRS if you want (can install up to three) and the batteries are up to the builder.

None of which will protect you from a common mode failure so that is why it is still a good idea to install an independent backup solution with a different hardware/software base.

Define a common mode failure that has occurred in the past please.

I hear this a lot and put Dynon backup in my Garmin panel....but it seems useless to me. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

"Let me know if you have any questions."

Why?

Such a layout is typically required for real 2 crew operations in the airlines, chartered world (twin turbo props, etc.) and so on ... Do you have a need for your right seater to have everything identical to you? Do you typically fly with a significant other that is als a pilot maybe?

Just curious ... that's a lot of money and weight and complexity ... I'm wondering what leads you to choosing this setup.

Sure looks gorgeous though! Is that the mid-continent stand-by instrument also? So the G3X do not have dual ADAHARS/batrteries, etc?

Why? Short answer is because I can. It's our company demonstrator aircraft. Also, my wife loves to fly, and use the controls on the right side. She's not a pilot yet, but will be working on it shortly. In the mean time, she does most of the squak codes, frequency and baro changes.

As far as weight goes, it wasn't a significant change from the original steam gauge panel.

Yes, it is the Mid-Continent SAM. The left screen (GDU370) has a backup battery that powers that and the #1 AHRS (GSU73). The Middle screen has its own backup battery which also powers AHRS 2 (GSU25). I also have a #3 AHRS, another GSU25. The SAM is there to alleviate the very, very unlikely possibility of a common software problem between the three screens.

Pahan, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Nice looking panel :D

What is the small back up unit immediately to the right of the key switch?

It's a Mid Continent MD302 Standby Attitude module, or SAM. It's a great piece of equipment that has some neat features, including automatically adjusting the Baro setting when it's changed on the G3X.

I hear this a lot and put Dynon backup in my Garmin panel....but it seems useless to me. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

A very general description for this would be "A piece of data that is either incorrectly transmitted to or misinterpreted by the displays that could cause a reset, or continuous reset condition."

I think the likelihood of this actually happening is almost nonexistent. I've got about 300 hours behind G3X systems (Legacy and Touch) and have never had a screen failure.

"It's our company demonstrator aircraft."

Ah, well that makes sense indeed ... cudos to you then! Great panel ... It certainly appeals to the toy loving man in me ... I'll never build out such a panel of course, since I'll never need that much functionality ... but like you said, if you can and want to (And even need to in terms of promotion for the company), why not?

Advertiser?

ed. I've talked to the company that posted this about possibly becoming an advertiser. v/r, dr]

Last edited:

All backups seem useless until you need them.

I don't look at mine either 98% of the time but I will sure be glad to know it is there and working if I am IMC and the G3X system goes South.

One thing I have learned by being so involved in experimental avionics over the past several years is that none of them are perfect and that there is no way I am trusting my life to any one of them.

I am pretty sure that all of the major players in the experimental EFIS market right now recommend independent backups. I thought it was good enough advice to follow and since full blown independent EFIS backups are so economical these days, it just makes good sense to put one in if you are planning on flying in IMC.

$9k for a backup in a RV-7 doesn't make sense to me, I think that's what the mid continent unit runs

I'd like to see a better place for the AP panel but given the layout I don't know what I'd change to make room for it, it's a head scratcher

edit: i've had software issues in both Garmin (G600) and Dynon (skyview) panels compromise the whole system from my pilots perspective, I always advocate backups for reasons like this.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a better place for the AP panel but given the layout I don't know what I'd change to make room for it, it's a head scratcher

This is a perfect example of why Garmin needs to come out with a remote audio panel that can be controlled thru the G3X, much like the GMA-35 can be controlled by the GTN-750.

If Garmin had such a device, the audio panel could be remote mounted, and I bet the GMC-305 could have been made to fit in it's place.

Great Answer!

Why? Short answer is because I can. It's our company demonstrator aircraft. Also, my wife loves to fly, and use the controls on the right side. She's not a pilot yet, but will be working on it shortly. In the mean time, she does most of the squak codes, frequency and baro changes.

As far as weight goes, it wasn't a significant change from the original steam gauge panel.

Yes, it is the Mid-Continent SAM. The left screen (GDU370) has a backup battery that powers that and the #1 AHRS (GSU73). The Middle screen has its own backup battery which also powers AHRS 2 (GSU25). I also have a #3 AHRS, another GSU25. The SAM is there to alleviate the very, very unlikely possibility of a common software problem between the three screens.

That clears things up...

Outstanding

Very cool plane. We all love avionics to some degree. It is fun to see all the reactions on the forum to the collection of glass.
I was a very lucky pilot a few years ago. I was director of training for the first company to develop highway in the sky. As a result, I did dual instruction in flying machines from 182's, Turbine Lancairs, King Airs, Bonanza,s, Eurocopter EC series, and on and on. From Alaska to Africa.
Most of the aircraft made no financial sense at all. The ratio of avionics cost to airframe value was upside down in many cases. Far more than this RV7.
Some were personal planes, some were demonstrators. Many of the Alaska planes were simply air taxi utilitarian. All were safer in rugged conditions with the new technology. I like to focus on the safe flights that have been completed, due to the hard work and creativity of the engineers, software code developers and hardware designers. We have all witnessed a revolution that compressed time rapidly. There are a significant number of pilots and passengers alive today as a direct result of a better way to view the earth... from a plane.
Congratulations on a piece of amazing, handcrafted collection of aluminum and electrons. I love it. (and backup boxes got me out of more jams than I care to remember.... they all go dark at some time or another.... given enough time)

Great setup! What are the annunciator lights for? Left & up of the left screen..

thanks, Igor

Great setup! What are the annunciator lights for? Left & up of the left screen..

thanks, Igor

Thanks.
The 3 annunciators to the left side of the screen, top down are for emergency battery 1, emergency battery 2, and the bottom one is to force the MFD into reversionary mode.

The two to the left of the audio panel are Master Warning and Master Caution

The two to the right of the GTR200 are Master Warning and Master Caution

The one right above the ELT controller is Comm Swap. It swaps the audio panel from Comm 1 to Comm 2 and back. That way the copilot seat can swap comms if needed.

Back