What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Questions

Hi everybody,

I've been happily building my empennage for the last 6 weeks or so and need to order the rest of the quickbuild kit pretty soon. That means I need to make a few decisions and two of those have to do with the rudder pedals.

Up front, I've got the option of the cockpit adjustable or ground adjustable pedals. I don't expect the plane to be flown by anyone but me (at least, not until I eventually sell it), so I expect I'll set the rudder pedal location once and leave it alone. With that in mind, it seems like the cockpit adjustable pedals don't offer any benefits. Is that the general consensus around here? Or did I overlook something?

For the rear seat pedals, it sounds like it's possible to retrofit the kit after the plane is flying, but it's considerably easier to install it during construction. In other words, if I think I might want rear seat pedals in the future, I might as well order them now. Again, is that the general consensus of the folks here?

Thanks everyone,
-Ross

Ross, I went with the ground adjustable pedals. No regrets at all! I think most will tell you to go with the in-flight pedals, but I set mine all the way forward and havent adjusted them since.

I am 5'10" and my friend who also has flown my airplane is 6'2" and he had no issues. He also has an RV-8 but with in-flight adjustable. He never touches them and thats whynI went the other way.

I do not have real pedals and if I was you I would order them now. If you don't you will end up like me and keep putting it off...

Good luck!

Rear pedals

My personal experience only...In three years the only one interested in the rear rudder control has been a CFI for spin and acrobatic instruction. He would not have done the training in my plane from the back seat without it. The rest of the time they are in the way of big feet only. Part of my GIB preflight buckle-in is "keep your toes off of these..."

2 cents of mine too.

I like the flight adjustable peddles. They can be move out of the way on a long cross country and then moved back when you are getting close to the field. Most of the RV's I have flown or redden in it has not been needed to use the ruder at all in normal site seeing. Only when the
AOA has been hi and the power was in or aerobatics was done, did the peddle get used a lot. Van has done a good job of keeping the adverse yaw to a minimum in most of his RV's. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

You have it right.

Besides, the in-flight adjustable pedals steal floor space valuable for hauling a case of beer ;)

Nice to have rear rudder pedals

My wife Marcie and I do quite a bit of cross country together visiting grandkids. Marcie decided to take a "Pinch Hitter" course in case the old guy in the front has a problem. Having the rear pedals enabled her to accomplish the training, including a number of landings from the rear seat.

Back