What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What song is your flying style!?

Heck, Ian, might as well go for Five pages. I see you are 18! I have 3 suggestions:
1. Finish college
2. Finish college
3. Finish your Instrument Rating

Haha, I am a senior in highschool. Plan to get a 4 year college degree and heck yah Im going all the way with my flight training, I want to be a pilot as a job so yah!

See ya around!

Haha I could write a whole blog entry about this dilemma!

But currently I am looking at going to Ohio University, for a major in....... Finance. I love the stock market and all that hooplah.

I have decided not to major in aviation due to the fact that I am certain I can get my training at a much lesser cost than via a university. I plan to use my summers during college to get my flight training on the side.

And hopefully when my 4 years are up I am fully qualified to be an airline, corporate, flight instructor, anything that pays me to fly.... pilot!

If not, the worst that happens is I find a job in finances until I am fully qualified. But I have dreamt since a little kid to be a Professional Pilot and by God I am going to!

My List

-First off, The Killers are my absolutely favorite band. Won't lie though, I've never though of any of their stuff as flying music, EXCEPT for this one. I was in Iraq during Oshkosh 2009 when I first saw this video. It was all I needed (though it took 30 minutes to load on the base internet connection.)

-My Citabria instructor would always try his best to do Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" once we'd level off in cruise.

-On those (rare) occasions where I'm on glidepath and on speed, I can hear Big & Rich singing "Save a horse, ride a glidesleope." I know, nerd alert.

-The best of all: Pink Floyd- Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part VI-IX)

The Byrds - It Won't Be Wrong
The Byrds - Eight Miles High
Randy Newman - I Love L. A.
Band of Brothers theme
Battle of Britain Luftwaffe March
John Denver - Starwood In Aspen
Enya - Only Time
Enya - Orinoco Flow
Enya - Caribean Blue
Enya - Book of Days

Guess these kind of date me...:eek:

But currently I am looking at going to Ohio University, for a major in....... Finance. I love the stock market and all that hooplah.

I have decided not to major in aviation due to the fact that I am certain I can get my training at a much lesser cost than via a university. I plan to use my summers during college to get my flight training on the side.

And hopefully when my 4 years are up I am fully qualified to be an airline, corporate, flight instructor, anything that pays me to fly.... pilot!

If not, the worst that happens is I find a job in finances until I am fully qualified. But I have dreamt since a little kid to be a Professional Pilot and by God I am going to!

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out.. Getting a degree in something that interests you will make college much easier.

Please, just for me, don't go to Riddle. It makes me cringe every time I fly with someone who is a graduate of Riddle. Seems like the discussion of school loans always comes up. Those poor Riddle guys are always $100K, $150K in the hole.. I'm "fortunate" that I owe less than $30k in school loans. When I was instructing, we had Riddle guys coming to our school all the time to "get finished up because Riddle takes forever."

IMO - an aviation degree is almost borderline foolish. What happens if you lose your medical, you can no longer be a pilot and you have a degree, well, being a pilot?

Last edited:
iPhone play lists

I recently created a couple of CD-length playlists on my iPhone of "Flying Music" - basically a selection of tunes from Rock to Country to Classical that I think would be good to fly to - either the tune or the lyrics or both. My idea is to cover a variety of flying from simple takeoff and short trip through to cruise and some light aerobatics. I'm going back through all the previous posts in this thread to add to my library, however my selection currently includes:

Boston - Livin' For You, More Than A Feeling, Cool The Engines, Crystal Love, Don't Look Back
Bryan Adams - 18 'Til I Die,
Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Dire Straits - Calling Elvis, Industrial Disease
ELO - All Over The World, 21st Century Man, Don't Bring Me Down
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street, City To City,
Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll
Meat Loaf - All Revved Up With No Place To Go, Bat Out Of ****,
Pat Benatar - All Fired Up, Anxiety (Get Nervous),
Queen - A Winter's Tale, One Vision
Sky - Toccata
Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas, Countrywide, Determination, Don't Argue,
Vanessa Mae - Devil's Trill

I haven't flown myself for a couple years due to working on the project and trying to save money for it, but I do spend a lot of time driving and flying commercially. When these songs come up on my Ipod, I smile and think of listening to them in the future while flying my -7.......They would be good in videos too.

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away
Motorhead - Shoot 'em Down
Metallica - Suicide and Redemption
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Slim Whitman - "Indian Love Call" :eek:

It'll make your canopy pop!

But, seriously,

Steppenwolf: "Born To Be Wild" is one I always wanted to start playing while I am pushing the throttle in on take off.

Last edited:
Song I like while flying

"Yellow Submarine" by the Beetles ;)keeps me focused on precision approaches.... go figure

Last edited:
Business Opportunity - RV Soundtrack??

I am amazed at how much of this music I don't know / need to go find and listen to! I am sensing a business opportunity here, for somebody to make a mix tape, er, mix CD, er, MP3 track with all of this music on it.

I would pay $20 for an "RV Soundtrack" compilation, made up by RV'er types... Anybody else?

At the risk of dating myself...

for takeoff and climbout: The Alan Parsons Project: "Lucifer."
FOR cruise and letdown: "Flying," the Beatles.

yeah, prolly nobody can hum along with them or even remembers them!

Whenever I take new passengers up I treat them to the AIR FORCE THEME SONG. (Off we go, into the wild blue yonder------------). Always gets a smile.
Woodman

I Was a Bird by Mary Chapin Carpenter

I Was a Bird by Mary Chapin Carpenter. I heard this on the radio today driving home from the airport - wonderful song and performance. Ordered a CD as soon as I got home - probably not on vinyl.

Bob Axsom

Take off roll - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)
Landing - Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles)

Flying in cruise...still pondering that one.

Tik Tok by Ke$ha
Last Friday Night by Katy Perry
I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
SexyBack by Justin Timberlake
Fantasy by Aldo Nova
Hey Ya by Outkast

just to name a few...

Last edited:
I got a whole playlist for flying, decent variety.

Brian Jonestown Massacre- When Jokers Attack (makes me visualize flying low through monument valley)
Black Keys-Hard Row (Aerobatics)
Pilot Speed-Into Your Hideout (Visualize takeoff roll at the start then climbing up as it picks up)
Temper Trap-Fader
U2-Magnificent (original and fred falke remix), Electrical Storm, Elevation, Dancing Barefoot, Beautiful Day
Glenn Miller: In the Mood
Dandy Warhols: Bohemian Like You, The Last High, Down Like Disco
Killers
Semisonic-Closing Time
Sterophonics-Dakota
Cut Copy-Unforgettable Season
Toby Keith- God Love Her
Jets Overhead-Heading For Nowhere
Wang Chang-Space Junk
John Butler Trio- Revolution

Just to name a few. :)

On a personal level the most meaningful is "Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clxtg2pFTQM&ob=av2e

I got into flying when I was 14 and my Dad bought me a gift certificate for an intro flight in a quicksilver ultralight. I was hooked, and when I went home I found a video online of a guy flying the same plane I did set to that song. It represents how my passion for flying started, how I got turned onto the Air Force, and my final victory over the phobia of heights I had for many years.

Last edited:
We?ve moved..

From what song describes our flying, to flying playlists.

I?m all over the board...usually what I can download free from Amazon music. Currently...

Chris Ledoux
Statler Brothers
AC/DC
tobyMac
Robert Earl Keen
Sir Mix Alot
Josh Abbot Band
Pat Green
Rend Collective
About any old country (pre 1983)

And my new favorite, Gangstagrass...these guys did the theme song for a tv series, and it?s a very interesting blend of music and lyrics, even if some of the political themes don?t mesh with my perspectives. https://youtu.be/ezRhtnWWUUc

Flying Music

I don't listen to music when flying, but if I did, the following would be on the play list:
Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
Still I Fly, Spencer Lee
A Sentimental Journey, Doris Day (long cross country flying)
Rocket man, Elton John
Saturday night's alright for fighting, Elton John
Pretty much anything by Elton John :)

Bevan

Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul

If I'm just cruising around the mountains on a "therapeutic" flight, an occasional loop and roll here and there, Drift Away (Dobie Gray) will always be on the play list.:cool:

Sailing, by Christopher Cross

As I'm playing with the clouds, skimmimg over a cloud layer.....

Doug
Seattle area

Depending on the day,

Bowie - Space Oddity
Golden Earring - Radar Love
ELO - Mr. Blue Sky
Debussy - Clair de Lune
Queen - '39

what song is your flying style?

When setting out over the Caribbean in a single engine aircraft......
Bob Marley....Three little Birds
:)

Flying song

"Zero to 60 in 5" by Pablo Cruise the original 5 minute version.

Nice gentle taxi, take off and cruise around the clouds, building up to acrobatics. How about a snap roll culminating in a spin at 4:09 in the song....

Last edited:
Like a Bird on a Wire

watch

Like a Bird On a Wire

I have a lot of songs, that when I listen to I think... "this would be a good song to put with my flying video".

Whats your guy's songs that you put on your flying footage that you inevitably post on the web for others viewing pleasure (like mine)

Note: The Killers - "All these things Ive done" can not be mentioned. Its used in 65% of the flying montage videos I have seen on youtube!

To quote Coldplay - The Scientist, Take me back to the start....... of the thread......

And just what is wrong with The Killers ?

Pah :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1yIRbxQghc

For aerobatics-
Serg Tankian - Empty Walls
Nine Inch Nails - Closer (don't judge me by the lyrics)
Queens of the Stone Age - Little Sister

Can't play any of it at home. My wife tells me it makes her want to take a fork and stab herself in the eye!

Back