What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fast RV-8!

dwrichey

A few days ago, Doug Reeves on the VansAirforce home page had a post showing a screen shot of Gary Platner's RV-8 Skyview screen. The point of the post was that Gary had a 48 knot tailwind and was cruising along at 236 knots. What impressed me most was Gary's TAS- 189 knots! Wow! And burning only 7.3 gph! I was hoping to find a home page for Gary's airplane but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know how Gary achieves that kind of performance?

What impressed me most was Gary's TAS- 189 knots! Wow! And burning only 7.3 gph! I was hoping to find a home page for Gary's airplane but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know how Gary achieves that kind of performance?

I think a lot of people were likely amazed.
Did you notice the post from another RV-8 owner that suggested he fly an airspeed calibration check......;)

Here you go....

Hmmm....methinks it just captured the 9500 altitude set on the bug, out of 500 FPM.

Last edited:
and, it looks like the vsi is actually showing the decent to be 900 fpm. Yeah, mine'll do that too! :D.

BTW, Dan, I stopped in to say hi Wednesday morning but you were out at an auction. I'd stayed down the road from your lot at the Hilton Garden and thought it'd be rude not to. Oh well, next time.

and, it looks like the vsi is actually showing the decent to be 900 fpm. Yeah, mine'll do that too! :D.

BTW, Dan, I stopped in to say hi Wednesday morning but you were out at an auction. I'd stayed down the road from your lot at the Hilton Garden and thought it'd be rude not to. Oh well, next time.

Darn, sorry I missed you. Patti didn't sit you down for a three hour chat? ;)

Back