What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 ADAHRS location

Larco

Well Known Member
Looking for suggestions on where to mount AFS/Dynon ADAHRS on an RV- 8. It seems that the canopy metal frame maybe problematic when opening and closing if the ADAHRS is mounted behind baggage bulkhead. Anyway any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

Looking for suggestions on where to mount AFS/Dynon ADAHRS on an RV- 8. It seems that the canopy metal frame maybe problematic when opening and closing if the ADAHRS is mounted behind baggage bulkhead. Anyway any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

I have an AFS 4500 in my RV-8. The AHRS (crossbow I believe) is mounted behind the baggage bulkhead on a cross member that bridges the upper longerons. Sorry, no pictures.

One mounted in the tail between the L and R horizontal stabs. The other on the inboard inspection panel under the right wing. Both work well. Dynon.

This is where I put mine. It works well but is difficult to access with one hand now that the turtleneck is on.

I think it would be easier to work on if it were mounted under the longeron and further forward... Maybe next time:rolleyes:

AFS recommends mounting the ADAHRS box(es) on a bracket between the upper longerons, just forward of the tailcone bulkhead where the static ports are located next to (that is, the static port location as per Van's plans). If the turtledeck is already on, this can be a tough place to drill accurately because the upper skin curves inward above the longerons and at least for me and my old shoulders and bifocals it was an impossible contortion challenge. I mounted mine in the same location but on the middle longerons and believe it will work out well (as it has for others). But I have not flown yet, so no actual experience to share. If it turns out mine are too low (the steel rudder cables are closer in this configuration, but that's about it), I will extend the bracket to lift the boxes up a bit, simple enough.

LH wing inboard inspection panel

I have great success with mounting the Dynon ADAHRS in the LH wing inboard inspection panel on my RV-8. Makes for a short run for the pitot and AOA lines if you use the Dynon pitot tube. The inspection panel sits at zero deg in pitch as related to the wing spar, but you will have to shim the wing's dihedral out, which is easy to do. Very easy to access in that location and relatively free of ferrous metal influence.

auwg8k.jpg

Here's one option.

easy access to the Dynon ADHARS 200

Having to change the ADHARS on the ramp at a airport with limited tools, I highly recommend placing it on the inboard access panel of the left wing. Had the thing off in 15min with minimal difficulty. Very easy to replace. The bigger question is why did it need to be replace after 300hours?

I have a different AHRS, so this may not apply to the Dynon, but mine is mounted on a rail directly under the pilots seat just aft of the spar.

This is an optimal location for an AHRS to be as close as possible to center of rotation of the aircraft. Its also easy to access this area for inspection.

My magnetometer is mounted back by in the tail area to get it away from steel...

Just another possibility if the Dynon will fit in that area.

Back