What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Pressure Checks

As a new RV12 owner, can someone tell me how often I need to remove the fairings and check tire pressure. I did this 10 weeks back and for me it was close to a two hour process. Pressure was down a couple pounds at that point and it had been three months since it left the factory.

Lot's of tire air pressure info on RV-12 portion of this site. Some tubes leak air, some don't. Might be a leaking air valve? My tubes seem to lose about a two pounds over three months. So every three months I remove the aft portion of each wheel fairing (@ 16 screws each - goes quickly with a power screwdriver) to inspect the tire tread, brake linings, and add some air. Since the RV-12 uses brakes for steering and stopping, these little inspections seem prudent.

I actually leave my fairings off for local flying just so I can look at all that stuff during the preflight and install the fairings when I'm planning a trip. That's the only time the extra speed is more important.

Checking only the tire pressure is easier - drill a hole sized to fit either hardware store chrome plugs, or stainless spring covers from an aviation supplier and get a valve stem extension to use to check the pressure. There are several threads that talk about this ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=62804
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116868
and others ...

I loose about one pound per month with leak stop tubes. 5 months 5 pounds low.. I can do both tires in less than 30 minutes..

I have a note up on my maintenance board to check air pressure every 90 days along with the torque on the prop bolts. Installing a hole in the side of the wheel pant and using a tire valve extension makes this about a 15 minute exercise.

I went this route due to causing a flat tire on my -12 while away from home because of a low tire.

------Installing a hole in the side of the wheel pant and using a tire valve extension makes this about a 15 minute exercise.------

It is a great suggestion and works. And while you are at it, While the valve is lined up with the hole in the pant, mark the tire on the back side pointing to the floor with some paint. This way you can roll the plane, see the mark, air the tire and off you go. Larry

I use one of these Amazon $20.00

Amflo 150 12" Heavy Duty Straight-on Tapered Chuck Inflator Gauge - 10 to 90 PSI

Last edited:
Back