What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Lighter Battery Installation

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
If you want to lose 10 lbs from the nose, you can move up to the EarthX900 battery like I did. That model fits the standard RV12 battery location just fine, and gives a LOT more umph at the same time. I am real happy with the change.
j6iyc5.jpg
[/IMG]

Heat?

These batteries don't like heat like forward of the fire wall. I mounted mine, 2 batteries, aft of the fire wall and removed the glove box. Made a nice installation. Read the tech info as to heat limits.

These batteries don't like heat like forward of the fire wall. I mounted mine, 2 batteries, aft of the fire wall and removed the glove box. Made a nice installation. Read the tech info as to heat limits.

Any pictures of your installation? Sounds pretty good..

Yeah I have to monitor that closely, EarthX says to keep it below 158f.I think I can accomplish that, directly below the battery are my fuel pumps and filters, need to keep them cool as well. I have some sticky thermo strips to stick on for monitoring.

Don, my ignition modules and VR module have hit 160F by sticky strip. 180F is the next checkpoint and it is unscathed. That's after at least one PHX summer.

Rich

P. S. BTW, what did the new battery do to your empty CG location? May not be a valid question given the number of modifications you have made.

I might suspect that such heat was reached AFTER running do you agree? I have not recalculated empty CG yet, since I have some other alterations in the works.

Don, my ignition modules and VR module have hit 160F by sticky strip. 180F is the next checkpoint and it is unscathed. That's after at least one PHX summer.

Rich

P. S. BTW, what did the new battery do to your empty CG location? May not be a valid question given the number of modifications you have made.

from Earthx manual:
Installation of the battery in the cockpit is not recommended, unless the battery is properly vented
over-board.

Hmm, maybe a box mounted on the outside of the fuselage would meet their requirements:). I have misplaced my owners manual, but I just went and checked, I can find no vent on it anywhere!
from Earthx manual:
Installation of the battery in the cockpit is not recommended, unless the battery is properly vented
over-board.

Don,

I switched to an Earth X about 18 months ago. It works fine. But this winter I found it wasn't fully charged. I talked to Earth X and learned that the charge voltage needs to be higher than for a lead acid battery. I have mine set at 14.2 volts now and have had no further problem. You might want to check what voltage your alternator is putting out. The Earth X manual explains this in more detail.

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you experience any problems.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS, Rotax 914

Don,

no it wasn't after shutdown. I had a flight in August last year when both CHTs and oil temps approached red line. It was 115F OAT.

Rich

Back