What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automatic Fire Extinguishers

BMC_Dave

Well Known Member
Say you were gifted HFC-227ea automatic fire extinguisher bottles that activate at 170 deg F and spray for 3-5 seconds. Would you have any use for them in your aircraft? Maybe one up under the instrument panel pointed at the firewall or something?

Say you were gifted HFC-227ea automatic fire extinguisher bottles that activate at 170 deg F and spray for 3-5 seconds. Would you have any use for them in your aircraft? Maybe one up under the instrument panel pointed at the firewall or something?

On page 6 of this document:

http://www.firesecurity.gr/Pdf/k23261_FM-200_PUSH.pdf

there's a long discussion under "Inhalation Toxicity" as well as others about "Cardiac Sensitization" and "Skin and Eye Contact".

With the warnings listed, I wouldn't want it to automatically activate inside the cockpit. Risks are too high by my read of it in an enclosed space. If I could activate it manually it might allow me an opportunity to get the smoke hoods/PBE's that I fly with donned and adjusted...I may be ok with it then...

Cowling Fire bottles

We had two fire bottles mounted in the cowling for the L1011 back in the day. Maybe the cowl would be a good place to put them if you could fit them in there. May only buy you seconds but who know, that may be all you need.

You might also be advised not to park the airplane in the sun with the canopy closed. I can see temps under a black glareshield easily going to 170 degrees or hotter.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

On page 6 of this document:

http://www.firesecurity.gr/Pdf/k23261_FM-200_PUSH.pdf

there's a long discussion under "Inhalation Toxicity" as well as others about "Cardiac Sensitization" and "Skin and Eye Contact".

With the warnings listed, I wouldn't want it to automatically activate inside the cockpit. Risks are too high by my read of it in an enclosed space. If I could activate it manually it might allow me an opportunity to get the smoke hoods/PBE's that I fly with donned and adjusted...I may be ok with it then...

Yeah I read that spec sheet too. No real idea of how concentrated it would be, though the bottles I have are intended for commercial cabin interiors. First I've heard of folks keeping smoke hoods or any PBE on board in GA, but I like the idea. Might have to see if I can snag one of our masks too.

We had two fire bottles mounted in the cowling for the L1011 back in the day. Maybe the cowl would be a good place to put them if you could fit them in there. May only buy you seconds but who know, that may be all you need.

I'd have to take measurements inside the cowl to see how hot things get, 170 is pretty low for that environment.

You might also be advised not to park the airplane in the sun with the canopy closed. I can see temps under a black glareshield easily going to 170 degrees or hotter.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

I was thinking that too but as these things are in service on commercial planes that get parked in places like Dubai, and it apparently hasn't been an issue, I think they're designed for that.

Blazecut ??

Hi All,

After seeing an incident where a local pilot stalled, crashed and was stuck inside his airplane while it was on fire... Poor guy escaped finally with 60 percent burns and survived after a year in hospital. Fire and how to deal with it has always been on my mind when I am flying.

In my last airplane, I fitted 2 units called Blazecut.

These are automatic fire suppression units that contain pressurised Halon. Halon being the best fire extinguisher there is. Also it is non toxic and safe to breathe, colourless and odourless so doesn't stain, non conductive and non corrosive like powders, and not cold like CO2 so it doesn't shock or freeze your electrics and avionics.

They are slim long plastic tubes with the liquid in, and I mounted one inside the cowling and one inside the passenger compartment for automatic activation in case of a fire while parked. I also fitted activation switches on my console for them, a simple wire leading to the unit connected to a small wrap of high temp fuse or cutting wire around the plastic pipe, so if I wanted to active one, I could just flick a switch and it would burst open and release the halon. Parked in the sun for hours on hot sunny days and never had any issues with the system.

I am going to install the same system in my RV10, if ever there is a fire, I want to be able to put it out with the flick of a switch and then not have to discard my airplane because the extinguisher has ruined it

Best

Amer

First I've heard of folks keeping smoke hoods or any PBE on board in GA, but I like the idea. Might have to see if I can snag one of our masks too.

Dave, I have an in-cockpit portable halon extinguishing unit I bought from Spruce and two of these smoke hoods from Aeromedix:

https://www.aeromedix.com/blog/2016/08/23/best-cockpit-smoke-hood/

While I don’t think they’re probably as high tech or protective as what I’ve flown with in my commercial airline gig, I just need them to work for the 10 or 15 minutes needed to get the airplane on the ground. Reasonably priced and gives us a fighting chance at survival.

Would hate to survive the fire but die from a crash caused by incapacitation from smoke inhalation after we got the fire beat down...

Rob

Last edited:
Dave, I have an in-cockpit portable halon extinguishing unit and two of these smoke hoods from Aeromedix:

https://www.aeromedix.com/blog/2016/08/23/best-cockpit-smoke-hood/

While I don?t think they?re probably as high tech or protective as what I?ve flown with in my commercial airline gig, I just need them to work for the 10 or 15 minutes I need to get the airplane on the ground. Reasonably priced and gives us a fighting chance at survival.

Would hate to survive the fire but die from a crash caused by incapacitation from smoke inhalation after we got the fire beat down...

Rob

Hmm, not a bad price either. Thanks for the link!

Back