What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where Can I Get a Crimper for This?

RidiculousM

Well Known Member
On the left is a regular D-Sub and on the right is a (mini or micro)? D-Sub. Can someone point me in the direction on where to get a proper crimper for the smaller D-Sub on the right?

Thanks,
Mike

2iuoqvl.jpg
[/IMG]

Did not work

Interpreting the RidiculousM photo of pins and some direct experience in the past few days with pins for the GDL82, the right pin with the big red arrow appears to be a high-density D-sub male pin identical to the ones I purchased at Fry's electronics store. Those pins from Frys have no color codes/bands.

Working with another RV'er on the field with a Stein crimper, he ordered and received, from Stein, the proper inserts for my project to crimp male and female high-density D-sub pins.

It turns out, in our situation, that the my pins from Frys will not fit in the Stein-supplied crimper. The "shoulder" on the Frys pins prohibits them from fitting into the Stein-supplied crimp tool. The 15 male pins from Garmin, with color bands, worked fine with the Stein-supplied crimp tool and inserts. My solution is to buy more high-density D-sub pins with the color code bands.

To RidiculousM, I don't think the Stein tool will work. I think you will probably need to buy pins that have the color code bands and don't have the shoulder...

Carl

All those big words. Makes my voice feel so small. :eek:

Lesson - don't buy generic pins

Heck...

I don't need my 'specs to read that !

:D

Gil,

I know - sometimes, just because we can detect the far end of the fart doesn't mean we need to measure it ;) Mind you, look at some of the ridiculous measurements in all of our prints - a result of CAD or some developing North West irony :)

All you other posters on this thread are "the fine print"! At least that how your comments appear on my iPad. :)

Carl

:)

PS: My efforts for a Font size 7 "Smiley Face" are failing. Trying to post this comment with humor. Happy Monday! Maybe no Ramp Checks today!

Last edited:
Measuring

I like the bit in the instructions that specify a difference of 15.4 thousands of an inch difference in stripped wire length for the two types of pins. :)

Someone must have much better measuring tools than I have.

Or as an aged structural engineer used to accuse us young bucks with the new
fangled calculators ?you guys measure with a micrometer and cut it off with an
axe?.

Or as an aged structural engineer used to accuse us young bucks with the new
fangled calculators ?you guys measure with a micrometer and cut it off with an
axe?.

If they actually quoted a tolerance we could allow for the width of the axe....:)

Back