What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna mount on glareshield

Hey folks,
Seems many builders have been mounting GPS antennas on the glareshield with good performance. I know some have also been mounting under the cowling. Presumably there is no early end of life issues do the heat exposure. Thinking the glareshield installation is going to be easier than the cowling.

RV-9 Slider. One Dynon GPS antenna and one Garmin GPS antenna for GTN625. Concerned about shadowing from the roll bar and related strut bar.

Is there a consensus that glareshield installation works well?

Thanks a bunch.

Two GPS antennas on the glareshield worked fine on two RVs. The only caution is to mind the Garmin install for cable length and separation.

That said, the new RV will have the SkyView GPS receiver on the glaresheild and the Garmin GTN-650 antenna on the top of the fuselage. My experience is the Garmin antenna can be finicky.

I’m in the camp of never putting a GPS antenna under the cowl (just a bad environment). Others swear by it. You decide.

Carl

Last edited:
I have 3 different brand gps antennas on my glare shield spaced about 4” apart. All work great with no interference. One of the I even painted black with rattle can rustoleum.
Ran a 12 volt 2 amp power chord past them across the glare shield to a HUD I was playing with. GPS antennas did not like that at all.

Last edited:
I had one on the glare shield and one in the wing tip and both worked without any issues but for some this is a matter aesthetic than functionality. My next plane has both antenna in the wingtip as I don't want the glare shield to be like the mantel in our house, full of stuff.

Two gps antennae on the glareshield. One for the GDL-82, one for the internal gps for the GDU-470. Over a year flying with these. No problems with interferance at all or signal degradation so far.

Ensure what ever is above the antenna is not metallic. Metallic/perl paints will degrade performance. How much depends on a number of factors. Under my cowl, gps signal strength was cut in half. Out on the ramp, cowl off and on tests. Onto the glare shield they went. Have the same issue in the tips of course with the same perl paint.

And also check that the antenna base is not magnetic !

The external aerial for a G695 is and our compass just looks at it all the time now :rolleyes:

Also mounted 2 GPS receivers on the glare shield. You'll want to paint them black or cover them with something to avoid a glare on the windshield.

Back