What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arriving/Departing/Arriving OSH HBC

tthrew

Well Known Member
Hello - Tried to find a previous thread on this and also looked at the EAA website - but no joy.
I'm planning to fly into OSH on Sat. or Sun. before the show and stay in HBC (this will be my second time flying in). On Tuesday morning, I need to depart and pick up a friend that is flying commercial into Milwaukee. Then fly back to OSH with my friend (hopefully before the airport closes for the airshow).
In the past, the airport is at capacity and closed to new arrivals on Tuesday. As I recall, only certified planes are turned away - so I should be OK in my RV? But I also need to get back to my spot in HBC (I will leave my tent up so my spot is saved) How do I let ground operations know I want to go to a specific location in HBC? Do I make a sign with the row number? Anything else I need to do to make this go smoothly?
Thank you;

From what I read in the NOTAM, you'll just post your HBC sign as you will on first entry and communicate your specific needs to someone in that area.

I've done it from HBC and found that I needed a printed sign to make it clear that I'm returning to my previous spot. I printed something like "ALREADY HAVE PARKING SPOT ROW _____" on the back of my HBC sign. Otherwise, shut down and tell the marshall as it's hard to communicate the message with the engine running, especially during busy times.

Likely bus user, roundtrip Osh - MKE

www.golamers.com/services/lamers-express-eaa-airventure/milwaukee-airventure-shuttle/

This link for the Osh - Milwaukee Airport shuttle bus works better on my iPad.

I?ll likely use this shuttle, and I?ve already called them for 2018 details. Recommend calling them well before Osh week to get an understanding of their limitations and planned schedule. They told me they may be quite off-schedule due to congestion at Osh.

Carl

Easiest way is to write your row # below the HBC. If you make a new sign, be sure to show the HBC sign to all the flag men and save the new one until you get picked up by a biker. The flag men out on the taxiways don?t know where row XYZ is.

I'd also recommend taking your camping credentials with you just in case as that's the only real proof that you actually have a spot.

The campsite pass needs to remain on the camping unit (tent) or it is no longer a valid campsite and could be cleared out. You can take the vehicle pass with you if you like, but nobody is going to question you if you claim to have a spot in row 123. Chances are the volunteers will remember you anyway, especially if you talk to them before and let them know what you are planning.

The campsite pass needs to remain on the camping unit (tent) or it is no longer a valid campsite and could be cleared out.

Well you might want to drop a note to Fred Stadler because that?s exactly what he recommends doing in this year?s EAA Webinar on Flying into Osh.

I wasn’t aware but I will get ahold of Fred. The webinars are mostly geared towards North 40 GAC camping. The showplane areas like HBC do things a little differently- for example we never close to arrivals. The OP’s question was specifically about HBC.

I wasn’t aware but I will get ahold of Fred. The webinars are mostly geared towards North 40 GAC camping. The showplane areas like HBC do things a little differently- for example we never close to arrivals. The OP’s question was specifically about HBC.

All very true and I defer to your expertise! You guys are a class act and run an awesome operation that's greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
HBC - HBP crew go the extra mile

All very true and I defer to your expertise! You guys are a class act and run an awesome operation that's greatly appreciated! :)

This will be the 19th year flying my RV-6 to AirVenture. Jeff and his crew really go the extra mile to help HBC and HBP in every way they can.

Back