What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central America: Panama

sduford

I'm New Here
If anyone wants to fly down to Panama I will gladly help you plan your stay down here. I've been living in Panama for 5 years and I know the country well.

We live in the beautiful mountains just north of Chame Airport (MP24), an uncontrolled airport with a 4000' paved runway nearly at sea level. I have access to free parking there with 24h security next door. There is no fuel on the airport but there is a gas station nearby with ethanol-free gasoline. This airport is about 30 NM west of Panama City.

A friend of mine lives on that airport and he is a builder himself, having built a few Glasairs and he is now tweaking his awesome NXT. He has a very well equipped workshop so if you are in need of emergency repairs he would be glad to help. We also know an FAA certified A&P that lives nearby in Panama City.

We have a house in the mountains and our guest-house is available. The first night is free to any RVator who flys through. If you want to stay longer it can be arranged for a modest fee.

We're actually planning to buy land at Chame airport and put-up some hangars and create a small fly-in community, contact me if you are interested in this project. We will offer 1400 sq. ft. homes each with a 50'x40' steel hangar for around $200-$240K.

***What to do while in Panama***
The Chame Airport is only 10 minutes from the most important beach area in Panama, the Chame to Rio Hato strip that has 50 miles of beach, excellent surfing and numerous resorts and golf courses.

I can help you plan flights to the following areas:
  • Contadora Island (OTD) in the Pearl Islands for scuba diving, fishing, whale watching or just laying low.
  • Bocas del Toro Archipelago(MPBO/BOC) for excellent scuba diving, secluded island resorts or just living the Caribbean lifestyle.
  • San Blas Islands, a series of beautiful and pristine little caribbean islands with white sands, turquoise waters, owned and operated by the Kuna Indians who will catch your see-food dinner fresh every day. A great sailing spot.
  • Pedasi, Azuero Peninsula area, for world class deep-sea fishing and scuba-diving.

I can also help you plan other non-flying activities. Panama has lots to offer to the well-prepared visitor: jungle tours, canal tours, bird watching, whale watching, fishing, surfing, scuba-diving, beaches, mountains, etc.

Warnings:
Be aware that the only airport with 100LL AvGas in Panama is the Panama City municipal airport at Albrook (PAC). However, ethanol-free gasoline is widely available in 91(87) and 95(91) octane.

From May to December be ready for frequent afternoon thunderstorms. From mid-october to early-december storms are almost daily on the Pacific-side. On the other hand, from end of December to end of April there is hardly any rain at all. The weather radar in Panama is unreliable and weather services nearly non-existent. The most reliable weather info comes from satellite maps (and the radar when it is up).

Last edited:
Back